battery replacement mbp mid 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khoward1972, Oct 27, 2013.

1. khoward1972 macrumors newbie

I need to replace the battery, i only get 3 hours use now. Any suggestions like after market or take it to the apple store? apple wants $129. thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recommend you take it to Apple. I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

When I needed a battery change I took it to the Apple Store. While the replacement is expensive, there are things that I will not risk on third party parts, the battery among them. It's too crucial, and the potential failure (which, of course, can happen with Apple parts, too) could be of great harm to my machine.

Let me emphasize that this is just my approach. I'm sure that there are others who have found third party batteries that work well and are less expensive. I'm just very risk aversive when it comes to replacement parts that can do harm to my devices.