battery replacement=newer ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Crypty, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Crypty macrumors newbie

Hey, I've got the 2nd gen touch, Lately it's had a problem where the earphone jack has a bad connection. The left channel cuts in and out and has static as the jack is wiggled. Very annoying. It's just out of warranty too.

So I was thinking I would send it in for the battery replacement program for $80 because I'm pretty sure they send you a fresh ipod all together. Correct?

What I am wondering is would I possibly get a newer 3rd gen touch? The faster one?

2. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Very, very unlikely. I knew one person who once got the newer version of their iPod, but the vast majority of the time they'll have your iPod in stock.

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

It's very unlikely that you would get back the exact same iPod touch you sent in for the battery replacement.

You will not get back a 3G iPod touch.

You will get back either a "refurb" 2G iPod touch or a new "old stock" 2G iPod touch.

However, the battery replacement program only applies if your iPod touch has no other defects which would otherwise compromise its functionality - that's because Apple plans on eventually redistributing it to somebody else as a refurbished device.

So if your iPod touch already has other damage, then Apple may require you to pay the higher price for an out-of-warranty repair/refurb/replacement instead of the simple battery replacement fee.

4. metalhead777 macrumors regular

No, you would not get the 3g iPod Touch due to the fact that you should pay for it, rather than expect them to give you a free, well technically not free, but whatever, iPod Touch 3g. They'll give you a 2nd generation iPod Touch.