Battery Replacement Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JeremyJL, Dec 26, 2010.

1. JeremyJL macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I have a summer-2009 MBP-15 that came with the non-removable battery. I have recently calibrated my battery and after i noticed that the top in the menu bar, it says 'service battery'. Also in system profiler it says 'check Battery'. Since my last calibration istat shows between 74-78% health from day to day.

I plan to make a Genius appointment here in a few days and am wondering if this can be covered by applecare. I have read through apples policy for replacement batteries here,http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html and understand that their policy does not cover battery replacement for diminished capacity or failure. They only replace for manufacture defects.

Since apple claims that this battery can go for 1000 cycles with 80 percent health, and my battery 270 cycles with 75 percent health. I am wondering if this can be considered a manufacture defect and i should get it replaced free under applecare?

I am willing to pay the 130 fee to replace if i have to, i just want to be prepared if the genius at the apple store tries to feed me a line of BS and charge me for it, when it should be covered by applecare.

Thanks

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It may not technically be a manufacturing defect in the traditional sense, but you should get a new battery free of charge imo, because the battery that they gave you failed to come even close to their advertised times. Find the right guy at the bar and he will probably warranty it. If not, contact Apple. It looks bad when their products grossly and dramatically fail to meet its advertised abilities and then are left as the user's responsibility to handle.