Battery replacement question:

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Can I get my original iPad back when I send it in for the battery replacement, especially if it's a gift I want to hold on to for sentimental reasons?

2. rex450se macrumors regular

3. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

if it's etched or signed

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

From Apple's service FAQ:

"6. Will my iPod personalization be preserved?
    If your original iPod was personalized by Apple and you choose to use the Online Service Assistant or organize the service by calling Apple Technical Support, you will be asked if you want your replacement iPod to be personalized with the same text. If your original iPod was custom laser engraved by another company, your replacement iPod will not be personalized."

5. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

your replacement will not be personalized meaning you won't get your original iPad back?

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

You won't get the original one back in any case. If the original iPad was personalized by Apple, they'll replicate the personalization. If you had a 3rd-party do it then they won't. Does your issue have to do with personalization or just Karma?

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

That's what it amounts to. Or to be more precise, Apple doesn't guarantee you'll get the same iPad you sent to them. I suspect this is the policy because it would be extremely costly to track individual devices, fix the ones that can be fixed, replace the ones that cannot, and handle the communications issues for each category.

What Apple guarantees is that you'll get a functional iPad. If your iPad included engraving done by Apple, they'll duplicate it if they need to do so. Otherwise, you'll get a unit that may or may not be the one you sent to them.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure there's a zero chance of getting the same one back.

9. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Serial number. They all have different ones ya know.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure the meaning was "if an otherwise superficially identical device is substituted then what does it matter?" Obviously you can figure out whether it's a different device (but if you have to do it at the serial-level, then what's the big deal?)

11. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Well, I think the OP answered that by referencing the iPad as a gift to be kept "for sentimental reasons." Must admit that I don't put an iPad in the same class of "gift" as I would the family heirloom that I inherit from my parents but I wouldn't judge other people's sentimentality. Perhaps tablets are the 21st century versions of Grandpa's clock. :)

12. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

It wouldn't be so bad if they offered a brand new one. I don't like to think some stranger wanked off on their iPad and I ended up with it. Are they refurbs or brand new?

13. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Not absolutely certain but I believe the order of replacement is (1) refurb of same configuration if available; (2) new of same configuration if (1) not in stock; (3) refurb of upgraded version if (2) not in stock; (4) new of upgraded version if (3) not in stock.

Options 2 and 3 may go the other way. I do know of cases where iPad 1's were replaced with iPad 2's due to absence of stock of iPad 1's.

You have to understand that Apple feels no obligation to replace a used iPad with a new one, no more than your auto insurance carrier has the obligation to buy you a new car if you're in an accident.

14. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

So you're saying that when my battery needs to be replaced in a year or so, and they've completely run out of original iPads, I'll probably get an iPad 2? Sweet! Who am I kidding, I'll probably upgrade before then.

15. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Unlikely. But there have been a number of cases reported where due to a temporary shortage (or lack of inventory in a store) a customer received an iPad 2 in exchange for an iPad 1.