Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
Battery on my late-2008 MBP is down to 63% health, and cuts off without warning when I'm unplugged, even at high charge %s.

Time for a new one. I know I can't get a replacement through Apple, but should I have them test it either way? Maybe it's not the battery?

Thoughts? Recommended vendors? I'm not paying $130+ from Apple.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-13 at 2.14.11 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-13 at 2.14.11 PM.png
    37 KB · Views: 147

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Battery on my late-2008 MBP is down to 63% health, and cuts off without warning when I'm unplugged, even at high charge %s.

Time for a new one. I know I can't get a replacement through Apple, but should I have them test it either way? Maybe it's not the battery?
Has it been properly calibrated?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes. Calibrated, reset SMC, etc.
If you have AppleCare, they should replace it free, since it's below 80% with only 94 cycles. It wouldn't hurt to ask them, anyway. You may find someone to make an exception. Personally, I wouldn't trust any battery that didn't come from Apple.

By the way, the reason your battery health is so bad is most likely that you didn't cycle it enough. Read the FAQ I posted for proper use to prolong health and battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.