iPhone 6(S)(+) Battery replacement refused

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antonypg, Mar 31, 2019.

1. antonypg macrumors member

My iPhone is getting quite old now but still works fine, except the battery life appears to be getting worse. In general I charge over night but by about the middle of the day it drops to around 50%, this is just with light use, checking emails, reading the news etc. If I start to take photos it drops incredibly quick.

My current battery is over 2 years old, the original battery was replaced by Apple as it kept failing when the phone was cold.

I booked my battery to be replaced on the Apple web site and selected Stormfront, an Apple dealer in the UK. They refused to replace the battery as it had previously been replaced before!!!

Has anyone had this before? The iPhone is in mint condition. If I book for a battery replacement at an actual Apple Store I wonder if they will refuse?

2. internetrando macrumors 6502

internetrando

I don’t know why they would ever turn down free money.

If you’re willing to pay there’s no reason why they shouldn’t do it - so long as any prior replacement was done by an authorized service provider or Apple itself. I could understand a refusal for third party repairs, but if that isn’t the case then your story baffles me.

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Did they run diagnostics on the phone to see what state the battery is in?

4. antonypg thread starter macrumors member

They were going to run the diagnostics but I believe they didn’t after I said about the battery being replaced previously. My 1st battery had serious problems, it died when cold but recovered later. The 2nd battery is now well over two years old.

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

They should still be able to at least run diagnostics and if that basically fails they should be able to offer an out of warranty battery replacement at whatever that costs these days.

6. pika2000 macrumors 601

Try an Apple store.

I have had my 6S battery replaced twice at two different Apple stores in two different countries. No issues.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Was the first battery replacement done by Apple or was it done by a 3rd party? If 3rd party, that could have been the reason.

8. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

The OP stated that Apple had already replaced the battery apparently when under warranty. But that should not be a reason for the service provider to refuse replacing it this time unless the OP wanted it replaced once more for free.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I had a friend who took his iPhone to the Apple store to have the screen replaced and they returned to phone to him minutes later when they discovered a non OEM battery.

Sorry but they CAN refuse service if the device has non OEM parts in it.

10. antonypg thread starter macrumors member

The 1st battery was replaced by Apple. It was replaced free of charge as it was one of the ones diagnosed as part of a batch of batteries with a fault, causing it to die when cold. The replacement battery has been perfect, it just doesn't last anywhere near as long as it used to. I was just surprised that an approved Apple dealer would refuse to change it when I agreed to pay for a replacement. I will arrange a repair with an actual Apple Store and see if they refuse as well.

If a battery passes diagnostics do Apple always refuse to change the battery? Even if I really want it changed and agree to pay.

11. a-m-k macrumors 65816

a-m-k

What phone was that? I wonder if my old iPhone was part of that batch.....

12. antonypg thread starter macrumors member

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

It was a fault that affected the iPhone 6s batteries.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2019 ---
    My 1st battery was pretty much useless, and was one of the faulty batch, but funnily enough when the Apple genius run the diagnostics in the store it passed!! After that I didn't put much faith in their battery diagnostics.

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Which shouldn't be the case in this instance since the original battery replacement was done by Apple.
    An Apple store, or contacting Apple directly, would probably be the better way to go at this point, if possible.

14. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I agree if Apple did the original replacement like the OP stated.

16. squizzler macrumors regular

squizzler

Why did you go straight to Apple? Avoid all them poxy little resellers they mostly don't know what they are talking about.

17. NJHitmen macrumors 6502

NJHitmen

They will indeed change the battery if that's what you want - regardless of what the diagnostics report. You'll pay the $49, but they'll do it.

18. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

In the past, I have had Apple stores refuse to replace my battery, even when the iPhone was out of warranty and I was willing to pay. But since the whole battery/throttling debacle, they have been much more accommodating with battery replacements.

19. antonypg thread starter macrumors member

I went to the Apple Store and asked them to change the battery. At first they tried to talk me out of it as my phone was showing 90% battery life. However, I asked them to change it anyway. The battery was showing around 800 charge cycles over 2 years 3 months according to their diagnostics.

Now it is like a new phone! Before the battery would generally last me till about the middle of the day, I always had to use my charger at work. Taking a few photos or using the maps app would get through the battery really quickly, not any more. For the last few days the battery has lasted me almost 24 hours. I have actually found myself playing games on the phone just trying to run down the battery before putting it back on charge in the evening.

20. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

This is good evidence that the capacity reported by iOS is only a partial indicator of battery health. With 800 cycles, the battery is well overdue for a replacement.

Many people seem to be under the incorrect impression that the battery capacity percentage reported by iOS translates directly to battery health. In reality, battery capacity is only one of three or more factors related to battery health.
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2019 ---
    If you're deliberately trying to run the battery down before charging, that's a bad idea for battery health.

21. squizzler macrumors regular

squizzler

No need to drain before charging. In fact, batteries don’t like that and won’t age as well.

22. antonypg thread starter macrumors member

I don't normally try to drain the batteries down every night, I was just seeing how the new battery was performing. The old battery would only every get me through half a day, whereas the new battery is much better and I can actually play games for a while and still get it to last all day.

My first battery kept giving up on me when the phone was cold, with the phone again only lasting half a day, sometimes shutting down when the battery indicator still read 50%. That battery was replaced after a year, Apple paid for the replacement due to a known fault with a batch of iPhone 6S batteries. The 2nd battery was replaced over 2 years later as it was getting very problematic. The interesting things is that in both cases the Apple diagnostics said there were no real problems and the batteries didn't really need replacing, in both cases the replacement batteries made a world of difference.

23. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Glad it worked out!