Battery replacement under Applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dontlosetouch, Dec 4, 2008.

1. dontlosetouch macrumors member

Hey there.

I've had my Macbook 1.83ghz for about two years now and the battery life on the thing has dropped down to under an hour on a full charge. Ran a test on iBatt and it gave me a D-, argh.

I have the 3 year Applecare cover so I was wondering if I can get lucky and swoop a new battery out of Apple?

Regards

2. impreza98 macrumors member

No. The batteries are considered consumable and they can only replace it within the first year under a couple of stipulations.

3. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Consumables like your battery are not covered with Apple Care. However, you might check Apples site or call a Local Apple Store to see if your battery might be listed as a recall for a free replacement. I do not, however, remember your laptop batteries being recalled.

4. Neuroguy macrumors member

Battery Replacement

Hello Everyone,

I have had the battery replaced twice on my MBP through Applecare.

I just called them up - they asked me for some numbers from the Apple System Profiler. Then, they needed to get my credit card number (to ensure that I sent in my old battery). A few days later, new battery in the mail and sent my old one back to them in a prepaid mailer.

They never gave me any trouble - I just called and told them my battery had drastically reduced operating time.

Both times, no problem.

Good Luck!

Neuroguy

5. Wingscofounder macrumors member

Hi,
    There have been some issues with the batteries not performing up to specs, when measured against cycles used. Call an applecare rep. and let them know, through system profiler, the statistics for your battery. They just replaced mine, since it was underperforming compared to the amount of cycles used.
    While it shouldn't affect the outcome, your politeness and rapport with the rep. will probably do just that.
    As an aside, there are specific batteries that are known to be defective. They can also look that up for you.
    Good luck,
    Warren

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same here. My battery was way underperforming compared to the number of cycles and they replaced it.

Having said that, if the only problem with a battery is the fact that it's old, that isn't covered.