Battery Replacement with AppleCare from somebody else

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Archive, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Archive macrumors member

Hi,

I was just wondering. How can Apple tell that a battery belongs to a certain MBP with AppleCare warranty?

Because couldn't you call AppleCare about a defective battery as an AppleCare customer and then send in a different battery of the same model from a MBP whose warranty has already run out...

Any answers would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Are batteries even covered by AppleCare? I thought the only way they would exchange them was if there was a recall, or issue with them.

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Technically, the battery that comes with the mbp in question that's under applecare, constitutes as part of the mbp. So it should be covered under applecare as well. Any additional separate battery's obviously not covered.

Good question though, never thought about it before.

6. Archive thread starter macrumors member

So I guess the answer to my question is "no".
    I'm totally aware that it's fraud.
    I was asked about it and I found it interesting, so I asked here.

And to answer the last post: yes, my battery was replaced since it was at 60% capacity after just 15 cycles. I called Apple and they sent it to me asap. But don't they check the battery if its really defective?

7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I just called Apple about my battery, since in the system profiler under the power section it says "check battery"; and since it only lasts 30 mins on a full charge.

The AppleCare guy I talked to told me to check the Cycle Count, and the Full Charge Capacity. My Full Charge Capacity was 1448, and Cycles Count of 72. Both of which are low. So to fix the battery issue, they are overnighting me a new battery.

Here is the link to find all the Extended Warranty Programs for any of the computer that currently have one. I looked at the one regarding the Battery Update for the MBP. Heres the info i based my judgement on, to find out if my battery was dying:

"Identifying an affected battery

Affected batteries will have one or more of the following symptoms:

Battery is not recognized causing an “X” to appear in the battery icon in the Finder menu bar.
    Battery will not charge when computer is plugged into AC power.
    Battery exhibits low charge capacity/runtime when using a fully charged battery with a battery cycle count (as shown in System Profiler) of less than 300.
    Battery pack is visibly deformed.

Note: If your MacBook or MacBook Pro battery does not have any of the symptoms noted above, your battery does not need to be replaced."

via Apple.

8. Archive thread starter macrumors member

That is a very interesting link.

To sum it up:

- Apple has a list of symptoms that when seen indicate a defective battery by their own definition
    - These batteries are replaced even after the warranty runs out.
    - It's a world wide program.

So why are there so many posts with "Can I replace my battery? Life at 66%."

Where's the catch?

Sweetfeld28: I take it you are either within the 1 year warranty or an AppleCare customer?

9. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Yes, i bought my MBP on eBay for a steal thinking it did not have AppleCare, but when i received it and researched it, it turned out i have one week remaining. So, i purchased AppleCare immediately. So now i have just under two years left. So worth it, in my opinion.

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

so what's your question exactly? you want to know how to defraud apple or do you want to know about the battery replacement policy?