Battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arjen92, Jan 10, 2012.

1. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

He guys,

I have the feeling my battery is losing capacity (382 cycles) and I was thinking about getting a new battery somewhere in the coming months.

However in my country they don't really offer a service to replace the battery. And when they do it takes 3 weeks and will probably cost me way to much money.

So I was looking for a battery for my Macbook Pro mid 2010 13". I believe it's this one: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...o-2.4-aluminum-13-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

(mine of course is upgraded with 8 RAM and the Superdrive is replaced with an SSD).

So I was looking for a battery (my younger brother is living in america) on amazon. But they all looked kind of sketchy. e.g.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to get a battery for one of the latest macbook pro's 13", which has a greater capacity (I believe). Would that work properly with my macbook pro?

Also, some of the battery's other companies are selling have a slightly different voltage (10.8 volt instead of Apple's 10.95 volt).

So which battery to buy. If anyone has advice or a reliable website where I can get a reliable battery, that would be great.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

The built-in battery of your MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity.

You shouldn't be needing to replace your battery yet...

4. arjen92 thread starter macrumors 65816

arjen92

Ok, good to know. But still. If I ever want to buy a battery, which one?

5. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

6. brendu macrumors 68020

I have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 13" and it is giving me the service battery warning. After 361 load cycles over 30 months, it has 71% capacity left. The charge lasts about 2 hours which is still okay I guess but its not great. I made an appointment to go into the apple store tomorrow to have them see what the service battery message is all about. I'll let you know what the "geniuses" say about the 80% after 1000 cycles.

7. ahjushi macrumors newbie

Are you leaving it plugged in even after it's 100% charged? That will kill most batteries, MacBook and beyond. The proper care of a battery is to stop charging it once it reaches 100% and charge it again when it nears 0%. Keeping your MBP plugged in all day will destroy the battery very quickly.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, it won't. This is a myth perpetuated by the uninformed.

9. ahjushi, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

ahjushi macrumors newbie

Yes, it will.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Based off my own anecdotal observations, my roommate and I both got the mid-2009 MBP when it first came out, give or take a few days. He left his plugged in 24/7/365, I disconnected mine every time it reached 100% charge. His battery lasts about an hour now while mine lasts about three.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. Don't depend on batteryuniversity.com for accurate information about the battery technology used in Apple notebooks.
    This is an even less credible source of information than batteryuniversity.com.

If you leave an Apple notebook plugged in, it will stop charging when the battery is full. It will not overcharge. Also, you don't need to wait until it nears empty before plugging in again. You can unplug/plug in anytime you need to. The only caveat is to not run plugged in 24/7 for extended periods, as the battery needs to be used periodically to stay healthy. For accurate information that relates directly to Apple notebook batteries, read the following instead of batteryuniversity.com. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: