Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I have an iPhone 7plus and use Coconut Battery to see the "design capacity" and charge cycles. Mine is at 89% with 511 cycle count.

Would it be worth replacing the battery for the $29 charge in your opinion?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
If you don't notice any performance slowdown and you are happy with the battery life, it's probably not worth it just yet.

That said, my 6S also reported battery health at 89%, but it couldn't make it half the day on a charge. I changed the battery myself (before Apple dropped their price), and the difference in both performance and battery life was night and day.

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Generally speaking, when a battery gets to ~80% of design capacity, it's pretty much at the end of it's most useful lifespan. Sure, it still works well below 80%, but that's roughly the threshold you start to see lifespan degradation and, as we learnt, that's when Apple starts throttling performance.

If your iPhone is on iOS 11.3, go to Settings/Battery/Battery Health. If the Peak Performance Capability says "Your battery is currently supporting normal peak performance.", then your still good.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Generally speaking, when a battery gets to ~80% of design capacity, it's pretty much at the end of it's most useful lifespan. Sure, it still works well below 80%, but that's roughly the threshold you start to see lifespan degradation and, as we learnt, that's when Apple starts throttling performance.

If your iPhone is on iOS 11.3, go to Settings/Battery/Battery Health. If the Peak Performance Capability says "Your battery is currently supporting normal peak performance.", then your still good.

I actually saw the performance throttling at 89%. It was very noticeable. The battery was old and had a lot of cycles on it, and even throttled, battery life was terrible. I think when you start seeing performance decline or noticeably shorter battery life, it’s time for the replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.