Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snawaey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
hey guys my SS series 1 watch is really bad with its battery, now only lasting about 65 percent of the day. Thinking of doing the $79 out-of-warranty battery replacement. Curious from those of you who have done it. What can I expect? Will they replace the whole watch or open it and replace just the battery? And if they do the latter, will my watch still be water resistant after? Thanks in advance!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
hey guys my SS series 1 watch is really bad with its battery, now only lasting about 65 percent of the day. Thinking of doing the $79 out-of-warranty battery replacement. Curious from those of you who have done it. What can I expect? Will they replace the whole watch or open it and replace just the battery? And if they do the latter, will my watch still be water resistant after? Thanks in advance!

Apple can also conduct a free battery test to determine the health. (It’s free). And they can actually do the test over the phone or in store. The threshold is 80%.

snawaey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
They will replace the watch.

As far as water resistance, it should be fine. Rather have a replacement sealed at the factory than in the back room of the Apple store.
Thanks for the reply! I’m guessing you have done this service before? Did you get the same watch or did they upgrade you? I’m guessing they don’t have my series 0 in stock anymore

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Thanks for the reply! I’m guessing you have done this service before? Did you get the same watch or did they upgrade you? I’m guessing they don’t have my series 0 in stock anymore

There's an article here on MacRumors I believe that says that the repair centers are to start upgrading to Series 2 watches because of the lack of repair parts inventory for the series 0 and 1. If I can find the article, (or, if someone else can) I'll post the link here.

Found it.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/28/42mm-apple-watch-series-0-1-part-shortage/

Reactions: Newtons Apple

snawaey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
So I had just dropped by the apple store for my watch appointment. The tech told me my Apple Watch would need a battery replacement but they have to quote me for the full flat rate of $249 just Incase there’s any other damage when they inspect the watch but if it’s just the battery then they’ll just charge me $79. He also stated they they’d most likely just swap the battery (but I have a feeling he was lying) hence why he was encouraging me to just upgrade to a series 3 or 4 watch instead. I didn’t go thru with the repair because I didn’t wanna get stuck with a $249 bill had they found alil water damage or anything else wrong other than the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.