Battery returned to normal!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmoPilot, Oct 19, 2011.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't know what caused this to happen, but I'm glad it did.

I turned push email to fetch every 30 mins. I turned off all system service location services except cell towers. Then I did a hard reset.

Today after 13 hours being off the charger I'm still at 63%. Last night my phone was dead right at 12 hours.

I've also noticed, my phone has not been hot at all today.

One other curious thought. Yesterday, Siri was not connecting to the server. I asked this forum if anyone else was having this issue (nobody was). Also, my phone was very warm. I turned Siri off and then back on, and then it started working normally. I'm not sure if these are related or not, I'm just glad my battery has returned to my previous uP4 levels.

This phenomenon is real, so I feel everyone pain that is experiencing this issue.

2. f00f macrumors 65816

A warm phone is indicative of some piece of hardware that is being overworked, such as the CPU. This in turn is indicative of a software process in the phone's operating system, either userland or kernel, that is running wild out of control -- possibly repeatedly crashing and restarting very quickly or running very fast in a tight loop. Perhaps there's a poorly written driver (hey the phone's all new hardware after all right?) that's eating CPU cycles. These would all make the phone warm and nuke the battery. It would also imply the problem lies in software.

It's important to keep in mind that although iOS5 has been in beta since the summer, the population at large hasn't had access to the 4S hardware until this past Friday. Compared to the ip4 it is all new hardware which means new code (again, low level iOS drivers and such) that none of us mortals have had a chance to mess with until very recently. Give Apple time -- they'll figure out the real cause of these issues.

Oh and my IP4 has 2 push accounts and 4 fetch, with all location services enabled and is on its 6th day and 19th hour of standby. All these tweaks folks are doing to their 4S are just short-term fixes for a broader problem only Apple can address.

3. JustCrusin macrumors member

I thought push was just push, I don't think changing Fetch affects push, but I could be wrong.

4. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Well, according to Apples website changing to fetch improves battery life. I know this is not the issue, but my batt life was so horrific I wanted to do anything I could think of to get it right. I knew it wasn't a hardware issue as others have not had this prob. Also, I'm a prior iP4 user so I knew what to expect.

I'll wait a few days to see if this battery prob is completely resolved then slowly turn stuff back on. 14.5 hours of moderate use and now have 55% remaining.

5. aloecool macrumors regular

I'll give it a try...sick of losing at the rate of 1% a little over 1 minute...with most things turned off.

6. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

After 48 hours of uncontrolled battery drain I too have a normal acting battery. At least as compared to my previous iP4.
    I think a backup & restore via iCloud (per Apple tech) may have done the trick.
    It could have been that the batt needed some conditioning and my full drain and recharges helped.

Can't say for sure but I'm happy to see this battery perform well.

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Is this normal battery usage?

Usage=7 hours
    Standby=1 day 14 hours

Battery now at 7%

8. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Yes

From what I read off these threads and Apple's own table the normal usage falls in the range of 6-8 hours.

9. Hamiltonian macrumors member

Depends what you mean by "Usage". If you mean 7 hours of constant usage, then yes it's normal. If you mean it was with you during the day, but you used it intermittently and had chunks of time in sleep more, then I would say, no that is on the low side of normal battery drain. As explained above, most users having battery problems will see improvements whenever Apple releases iOS 5.0.1

10. docgerrard macrumors 6502

wow my phone only lasts 4 hours and 30 minutes of usage and like 14 hours of standby

11. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

So for email, where it has "push", it says "new data will be pushed to your iPhone from the server". Is that email only? Or any data like the data used to update your weather, etc...

12. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

my phone is at 18% with 6 hours of use and 19 hours of standby is that good or bad?

13. jalex85 macrumors newbie

Successful measure to bring battery back to normal

Hello.

I have an iPhone 4 and after I upgraded to ios5 EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL...

The battery lasted for 24 hours and then I decided to TURN ON WIFI SYNC.

After that, battery was lasting for 5 to 6 hours on standby mode.

I tried removing email accounts, network restore, notifications off, location services off etc.

Nothing worked but then I recalled that everything started when I activated WIFI SYNC.

So I decided to turn it off and voilá!

No more battery issues.

I noticed that iPhone connects to it for 1 or 2 seconds and then disconnects.

I assume it is a cycle and iPhone tries to connect permanently.

If you have WI-FI Sync on, just open iTunes, click on your iPhone on the left bar and uncheck Wi-Fi Sync.

This worked like a charm for me.

I suggest you disable Wifi Sync, restore network and remove and add your email accounts.

According to what I've read these are the best shots.

14. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Um, if you can't tell a difference... does it matter?