Battery rights and wrongs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Hi, Probably had the 13" MBP for about 3 weeks now.

Battery quoted times are usually always way above what you actually get, I understand that part. I'm using Word, Internet, Emails, and not in a massive way, but what is the average on the new MBP 2011 models..?

I calibrated when I got it, well what I take as calibrating anyway. Charged fully, left plugged in for 2 hours, then unplugged. This I think is where I need the help bit, I don't get the part after that. Am I supposed to leave it on till it dies permanently, or can I use it, turn off, use, turn off, till it dies. Leaving it on permanently it will go to sleep and then probably take forever to die if I'm not using it.

Apple say don't let it go to dead, it's not good for machine, but as I've found out, you guys are more knowledgeable than they are, Already one of my questions has been answered by you lot whereas nobody at Apple knew what i was talking about.

Am guessing the battery indicator times at top by battery depend on what you're doing at any given moment. It changes from 7hrs left, to 6, to 4 to 3 within minutes. Guess that's how it works?

What should I get from battery. Even the iPhone at 100% stays there for at least a few till you are using it, This seems to go to 80% within half hour of word processing?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions, including accurate calibration instructions:

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh, thanks. That's what I followed, But it's not answered the part about the running down bit I mentioned, that's what I was hoping you guys could answer.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's really pretty clear:
    Also make note of the Caffeine recommendation, to keep it from sleeping, so it drains faster.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

So basically leave it on all night till it dies? Can't turn it off?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can turn it off, but it drains faster if you leave it on and let it die on its own. Just make sure you don't have any unsaved changes in documents you might have open when you get close to drained.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, so the Apple 'help' line telling me not to let it run down to no power was talking rubbish basically..

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Absolute rubbish. You can't calibrate it if you don't let it completely drain. Remember, "Genius" is only their job title.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816