Battery says "not charging" + 0% charge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by george1drum, Jan 26, 2009.

1. george1drum macrumors newbie

I stupidly left my macbook on sleep while i went away for 2 weeks. It wouldnt turn on without the power cable so when i turned it on with it plugged in the battery symbol at the top says "not charging" and has a plug symbol in the battery. If i take the power lead out the whole thing shuts off and there are no lights on the battery if i press the button on it.
    I had a look around on some threads on other sites and found a page that says the macbooks which were brought out when i got mine had dodgy batteries and that i could get it changed. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you sort it? Did apple give you a replacement battery even after warranty?

2. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

I guess there are two sides to this, one is that on my old G4 iBook I often have this come up, I often find that unplugging the power cable and plugging it back in solves this problem, however it does not sound like this in your case.

There was a re-call of the MB batteries, probably worth checking here:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

To see whether the battery in your MB is one of the affected and I presume Apple would still offer you an exchange on it for free (unless this changes outside of warranty?)

Failing that, I reckon a trip down to the Genius Bar and get the experts to take a look at it?

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

3. george1drum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the help! Ill probably go down to the store this week sometime, just annoying its not that close to home... ah well. Il let you know how it goes.

4. george1drum thread starter macrumors newbie

sorted!! Brought it in to the apple store this morning and they just swapped the battery over under the battery update problems they had. Also while i was there i moaned about the awful casing on the old macbooks as mine had cracked all over on the keyboard case and the screen surrounding parts and the screen has dead pixels on it. He then told me i could have it all replaced for free as i had 3 year warranty not a 1 year warranty due to the fact i bought it from the education store! They never told me this when i bought it! Its going to be like a brand new mac again!
    Cheers for the help with the link you gave me! i was going to buy a new battery if it wasnt for that!

5. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Excellent news!

Glad everything was sorted out for you mate!

Cheers