Battery Service

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RichardBeer, Jan 6, 2011.

1. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

I own a Macbook pro 5,5 13" from late 09'. Just today I noticed that my battery life indicator is showing a 'Service Battery' warning. I suspect that the problem is either diminished capacity or swelling due to the trackpad often sticking. My question therefore is:

How much will it cost (preferably in £) to have the battery replaced?

I did purchase Apple Care with my mac back in July 2009, however I have heard that this does not include replacing batteries.

Also when contacting Apple, will I have to provide any proof of Apple Care or can they look this up through taking the serial number of my mac or personal details? This is an issue as do not have the Apple Care box with the details on it at hand.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For defects like that the replacement should be covered under Applecare and therefore free.

Batteries that simply die from overuse are not covered, but defects are covered.

As long as you registered Applecare after you bought it, you don't need anything when you go to the store.

3. RichardBeer thread starter macrumors regular

RichardBeer

Ah I see, well the Apple care was auto-enroll so as far as I am aware I am already under it.

Thanks for the input.

4. HiddenGem macrumors member

Can a swelling battery stop the keyboard and trackpad from working?

I just had my top case replaced on an pre unibody MBP 15" and my battery has a service indicator and health varies from 53-79 on istats.

Could I revive it by recalibration or could it be swelling?