General Battery shaming!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by contradel, Aug 13, 2014.

1. contradel macrumors newbie

I don't have iOS8 beta, and its my impression a lot of people in here doesn't either. But we still want to anticipate the joy, hope you guys will help us. :rolleyes:

One of the features I'm looking forward to is Battery Usage!
    In part so users can keep a watch on "where the heck did my battery go?. As well as battery shaming, which will poke the developers and keep them in check, especially important while giving them more free rein.

If you would be so kind to post some of your experiences with apps that have high battery usage, that'd be great. Desired apps to be scrutinised could be popular apps like Facebook, Messenger, Snapchat, Twitter, Spotify, Gmail etc. Maybe even some screenshots.
    Have a great day.

2. treichert macrumors 6502

Whatsapp is by far the worst. When I dont force quit it, it will show up with c. 25% even if I dont use it.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Whatsapp isn't completely working yet on iOS 8. Really none of the apps are so you can't expect beta experiences to be accurate.

4. contradel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer.

You are correct Stuke. But it's still a good indicator that that app needs work on its battery usage on iOS8 beta. But as you say, everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

5. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Very true. Its good Apple have implemented this feature finally in to iOS as it will push developers to make their apps more efficient. You'll see a wave of reviews about how some apps are draining the battery quickly and people will uninstall the applications forcing the developers to act.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Definitely! Very glad for this. So far my #1 offender is google hangouts. Turning off its background refreshed helped a lot in beta 4. not so much in beta 5.

7. Coupz macrumors regular

One issue in your guys thinking: I could have the most efficient app on my phone and that would even show 80% battery usage, when I use the app all the time. So that's not always a bad coded app in that list or an indication for an app which isn't efficient coded.

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

+1, I was about to say the same thing. As I've been looking at the battery usage occasionally as I've been using iOS 8, logically the apps I use the most are the ones that show the most battery usage. There have been a few interesting revelations, such as the fact that the pebble app averages about 3% of my battery usage for it's background stuff, but for the most part, it's so dependent on how much the apps are used that I'm not sure it's a good way to tell how efficient a particular app is.

9. treichert macrumors 6502

Yeah but they have a history with battery problems and I dont really expect much improvement. Also, they update their app like twice a year, so dont hold your breath for a speedy iOS 8 update.

----------

Yes of course, but like I said: I barely use Whatsapp and unless I kill it, it appears at the top of the list.

10. contradel thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point Coupz. You are of course completely right.
    Any battery usage observation should be accompanied by a thought on how much the app was used in the particular period.
    :)