Battery - Show Time no longer available

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by syan48306, Jul 2, 2012.

1. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

I just got my new retina macbook pro but it seems as though they've changed 10.7.4 or for the new retina's so that they don't show the time left on the battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's true, but it's not a big loss, as the time remaining is a constantly changing estimate, based on the current workload on the system. It is not accurate at all, since the workload changes from moment to moment.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

I get that it fluctuates, but if it drops from say 7 hrs to 4 hours then at least know I'm pulling a lot of power and it might give me a reason to check whats running in the background. It's very nice to have.

Is there any way to get it back?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not that I know of, but you can easily monitor system resources with iStat Pro.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

What a pointless alteration to something that did not need it. I find the battery status indicator very useful. Of course it fluxes, but not by much when you're doing one continuous task.

6. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Agreed, the change annoyed me at first, but I've got used to it. Now I need to regularly click on the battery icon to get the time estimate.

7. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

so wait, as a first time owner, i look at the question as it doesn't show the time left anymore, however, it does say the time, u just have to click on the icon to see it, apposed to it being displayed before??

lol

i can see where it would've been convenient

8. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

I mean, yeah you know the time fluctuates and its inaccurate. The only problem with only showing the percentage is you don't know the rate of consumption. If you see 4 hours on the clock and you know should be around 80%, then you instantly know that your dedicated video card is on and that you're pulling more power than you need. Or if you you're at 2 hrs @ 50% you can catch the flash video that bugged out and is maxing one of your cores at 100% in the background.

9. Panini macrumors regular

This.

I like to open an application sometimes just to see if it's worth it. It gives clearer choices.

Which is better?...

20 minutes of Portal 2

OR

2.5 hours of watching Youtube?...

Without the indicator I would have gone for Portal 2 without knowing I would only get 20 minutes out of it. It's also useful for knowing when your dGPU kicks in and when your CPU hits high usage. The battery indicator changes about 1 minute before the fans come in and if you're quick you can close whatever you're doing and the fans won't start up (once started, they stay spinning for quite a while).

Hope there's some third-party hack for this (as much as I hate third party hacks) or that ML brings it back (can anyone confirm this?).

10. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

11. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

iStat Menu will show allow you to show the time, but I see it's not as accurate as the OS one. Don't know if its less accurate or more accurate, but for now I've just stuck with the built in one. Maybe ML will re-enable this option?

Attached Files:

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

ML has the new arrangement, even on older hardware.

13. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I'm with you. Doesn't matter if it's accurate or not or fluctuates or not. I liked it better than the percentage. Thing is that it WILL tell you time when you click the battery icon. Just not allow a constant display. I liked the option. Send a complaint to Apple. Maybe they'll re-enable it if enough people complain.

14. genereyes macrumors member

I'm not even sure the battery percentage is accurate in iStat. Right now I'm looking at 50% remaining as reported by OS X, but iStat says 47%.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're all only estimates, so none will be completely accurate.

16. rajid macrumors member

Apple Store systems have it

What's really strange about this is that all of the MacBook Air systems on the local Apple Store have battery time remaining as a selection in their menus. My new MacBook Air (13", 2Ghz, 8Mb) doesn't have it. When I asked an Apple Store person about it, he had never heard of it being an issue.

I'm tempted to take my new MBAir into the store and talk to a "genius" just to see what they say about it.

17. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I don't think it's that weird, your MBA is just more up to date.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you on Lion or Mountain Lion?

19. maccain13 macrumors newbie

Small App to fix the issue

If you don't want to use iStat Pro here is an alternative: Battery Time Remaining. A small free App that shows the time in the menu bar. Just download and unzip the build to test it.

There is not yet an auto update function, so note that you should check for updates yourself.

20. NavyWings macrumors newbie

Stupid response. Hey...% remaining "s a constantly changing estimate, based on the current workload on the system. It is not accurate at all, since the workload changes from moment to moment." So why not get rid of that too?

----------

Exactly Cinemagic. The point isn't whether someone here thinks it's useful or not, the point is some people preferred it and it sure takes more work to remove an option than leave it alone. Why Apple would bother to go to the trouble to remove an option that by all accounts doesn't affect operability of the system if baffling. My guess the engineer who had that section of code figured since he didn't use it much, nobody did so he would bump up his metrics in reduction of the lines of code.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for digging up this old thread, but the % remaining doesn't fluctuate nearly as much as the time remaining, and is a much more reliable indicator. I wasn't suggesting getting rid of either of them, but only indicating it's not a major loss, especially since you can still access the time remaining on the dropdown menu.