Battery showing "X" and mac shutting off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kuntryklucker, Mar 3, 2013.

1. kuntryklucker macrumors member

kuntryklucker

Hi All,

I am new to this community and new to mac's in general.

Background: I have a macbook late 2006 model. OS X, that was gifted to my by my brother, after the company that he works for gave him a laptop.

I put a new battery in it about a week ago and am experiencing some problems with my computer.

The battery charges sometime then at other times shows an "X" in the battery icon. Also when I am using the macbook on the battery only, it will randomly shutdown. Not go to sleep but shut down so I have to reboot it again.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? I hate to say that it worked better on the old dying battery then it does on the new one. I did not have any of these problems till after I put the new battery in.

Any help would be great, as I have no idea what is going on or what to do. :confused:

Thanks is advance.:)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you buy the battery from Apple, or is it a non-Apple battery? I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

You could try resetting the SMC, but there's no assurance it will help.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. kuntryklucker thread starter macrumors member

kuntryklucker

I did not buy it at an apple store but a battery store. It looked identical to the battery that I replaced. It has the apple logo on it an the numbers matched the one that was dead.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible the battery is defective. I'd take it back to the store where you bought it, or take it to the Apple Store and let them test it.

5. kuntryklucker thread starter macrumors member

kuntryklucker

How so I know if I got a knock-off battery? It looks official with the apple logo and everything. Do the knock-off batteries have a specific look or so they look exactly like the apple batteries that you get from the apple store?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They can be made to look like original Apple batteries. If you take it to Apple, they can tell you whether the battery is genuine and if it's defective.

7. kuntryklucker thread starter macrumors member

kuntryklucker

Ok, the battery looked like the origional, if it is a knock-off I could not tell.

If it tests good when I take it back to the battery store, but my computer is acting strange would that indicate that I have a knock-off battery?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Apple Store should be able to tell you what the source of the problem is, whether it's the battery or not.

9. kuntryklucker thread starter macrumors member

kuntryklucker

Ok, thanks.

10. kuntryklucker thread starter macrumors member

kuntryklucker

If it is a knock-off battery, can it to damage to the computer?
    And if so what kind?

Thanks.