Battery size for Iphone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I was thinking about what a unique challenge Apple has in designing the battery for the Ip6. It looks like the battery team has to fit it into whatever area Sir Jonny gives them. I picked up a new HTC one the other day and was shocked at how heavy it was. Most of the weight is from the battery. So, hopefully, Apple will design a battery that is not like a brick, but with new processor software, shutting down things that aren't needed based on sensors, and still give us a 4.7 inch display at full HD or QHD.

2. cynics macrumors G3

You are comparing a larger phone to a smaller phone. Of course it's heavier.

Consumer level batteries haven't advanced enough to use anything lighter proportioned to its size.

Higher mAh will be larger and heavier.

And with more hardware we'll likely need more battery. This is an area I think apple is starting to fall behind the competition.

I'd gladly take some extra weight for a few more hours of usage. I've never been concerned with the weight of a phone, personal preference I guess.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I wish they would stop going thinner and leave the space for the battery. It's already thin enough, let the 6 be the same or even a touch thicker than the 5 and put in a bigger batter.

4. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I wonder if there was a version with very slow processor but very long battery life I would choose they one? When I chose my MacBook Air in 2011 I chose one step down in processor speed because it offered a few extra hours of battery. I'm glad I did.

5. Camoxide macrumors regular

The processor isn't a big drain on the battery in iPhones (and most phones)

The screen is the biggest drain on the battery followed by the radio.

Ever used your phone on only Airplane mode?
    Lasts aggggggeeessss. Basically no battery drop in standby.

6. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I think, who needs/wants a thinner iphone than the 5/5S??

Just put a bigger battery, I really think that it would sell more phones if you advertise "the new iPhone has the best battery and can talk 24 hours" rather than "the thinnest iPhone ever".

7. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I agree, and a lot of people put cases on their iPhones anyways.

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

id say if they kept the size the same and it was made a bit heavier people wouldn't complain about having their phone last longer. id take a 5s as thick as a 4s if it got 50% more battery.

9. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I remember when I got the 4 on release day, I was like, ok, if it gets thinner than this, it'll be too thin. Then the iPhone 5 came out, ok, yeah, it looks better but NOW if it gets thinner than this, it won't look good at all haha!

I sincerely wish the next iPhone won't be thinner than the i5, it's perfect as it currently is!

10. Serban Suspended

11. The Banana macrumors member

Would any day take a thinner iPhone, than a phone with better battery.. Would looooove to see the iPhone go under 6mm! Would make it so light and beautiful to look at! Please make it thinner Apple! Thats why iPad Air is such a succes!