Battery status in MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by osama.mansour, Feb 12, 2010.

1. osama.mansour macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have recently experienced a problem with my MacBook Pro in which the computer suddenly shuts down. So I started to observe the performance of the computer. The computer never shuts down while its plugged into a power source. However, when I use the computer with the battery it keeps working until the battery status reaches 30% or less and then just shuts down immediately. This is my observation.

So I've been thinking about the problem. I thought its something with the battery which might be true or not. But I wonder if its also related to some errors in the battery status in the sense that it doesn't show the actual consumption of power from the battery and when it reaches 30 % it means that its empty. After shutting down, I tried to turn on the computer again but it keeps shutting down with the battery.

Does anyone know something about this problem? Or if I need to reset some battery settings.

Ideas are very much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Try calibrating your battery (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490) and see if its more accurate. charge it up fully (keep it charging for 2 hours after its charged), let it die, and let it sit for a few hours (like overnight) with the battery drained. then charge it fully.

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

try also some applications like iStat Pro and look at the reported "health status" of your battery (after a calibration).
    I think it will be low ...

4. osama.mansour thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery status is "playing around"

Hi guys,

Now I can understand that the reason of the sudden shut down is caused by incorrect battery status. After the calibration the battery status is giving me incorrect measurement for the power in the battery. So, for example, the batter is full but still the status shows 4 min left.

Shall I calibrate again to get an accurate measure? Or is there any other solution?

Thanks.