Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Throdne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Hey,

So, I installed mountain lion yesterday, and was looking at the battery remaining icon in the menu bar and I don't see time remaining the only way to see it is if you click the battery. did they remove that option to display time remaining beside the battery icon. because all I see is percentage.

Thansk for your replies,
Throdne

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
You can try copying /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Battery.menu from 10.7.4 onto 10.8 to get it back. I have not tried this yet, but there is a good chance it will work.

Throdne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Honestly, I think apple is headed in the wrong direction with it's operating system and the same thing with iOS. They're small things that should not be removed and doesn't need to be removed. The "remaining time" had no effect on the performance of the operating system and I personally prefer the remaining time over percentage status.

One example of this is the three finger dictionary lookup. I liked it in lion where two taps would bring up the dictionary. Now it's messing up my add-on, middle click. And you can't change the settings back to the way lion was in system preferences.

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
One example of this is the three finger dictionary lookup. I liked it in lion where two taps would bring up the dictionary. Now it's messing up my add-on, middle click. And you can't change the settings back to the way lion was in system preferences.

I can still get look-up...

Specklez

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
United Kingdom

I agree with that about the dictionary lookup, I keep double tapping instead of single tapping and it's just a mess for me (apart from that, Mountain Lion is ok....Safari 6 isn't exactly the best though, I dislike what they've done with going back a page). So it conflicts with middle clicking with a mouse?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Its gone, but it was pretty useless anyway.

Time remaining would be all over the place depending on what you are running, the percentage is more accurate.

I was annoyed it was gone but then thinking about it a bit, the time was useless anyway....

I'm really liking the safari improvements. yeah the variable size tabs is annoying, but i don't use them any more (much).

pinch to zoom out, swipe to other page, pinch out to zoom into the tab you want. You can close the tab from within the "zoomed-out" overview.

Throdne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Its gone, but it was pretty useless anyway.

Time remaining would be all over the place depending on what you are running, the percentage is more accurate.

You're right, time remaining would be all over the place "depending" on what you were running and that's why I think time remaining is more accurate then percentage. Example, if we had two laptops next to each other and they both said 70% battery life remaining, and one computer was doing video encoding and the other one was a word document, the time remaining for the two will be completely different. One will say 20 minutes and the other will say 2 hours. I think that is a more accurate.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You're right, time remaining would be all over the place "depending" on what you were running and that's why I think time remaining is more accurate then percentage. Example, if we had two laptops next to each other and they both said 70% battery life remaining, and one computer was doing video encoding and the other one was a word document, the time remaining for the two will be completely different. One will say 20 minutes and the other will say 2 hours. I think that is a more accurate.

Until the video encode finishes, and then the time goes back up somewhat.

I see your point, and yeah i'd prefer the option, but its not a deal breaker. More annoying is that you don't get the time until full reading when charging (from memory) any more.

Throdne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Your right it's not a deal breaker, but it's something that doesn't need to be removed. I and the time remaining to a complete charge is still there. You have to click the battery to see it.

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
Hey,

So, I installed mountain lion yesterday, and was looking at the battery remaining icon in the menu bar and I don't see time remaining the only way to see it is if you click the battery. did they remove that option to display time remaining beside the battery icon. because all I see is percentage.

Thansk for your replies,
Throdne

Actually i am pretty much annoyed by this. Time remaining is a fundamental thing for me i really want to know when i'm "in the field" and i don't want to always click the item to be shown the remaining time, the percentage really means nothing as it doesn't take into account the load of the machine. - I dont care about ******** features like notification center etc., if one of the most fundamental and basic things is suddenly missing.

I know this is kinda provoking: but whose idiot's idea was it to remove that!?

On the other hand, the dictation feature is really cool (but: how often will i REALLY use it?). AirPlay is cool, too. - I'm still unsure whether i should install the update, or not ...

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Honestly, I think apple is headed in the wrong direction with it's operating system and the same thing with iOS. They're small things that should not be removed and doesn't need to be removed. The "remaining time" had no effect on the performance of the operating system and I personally prefer the remaining time over percentage status.

Yeah I hate that they changed it to a single 3 finger tap. I preferred the double tap.

morsecp

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Vermont, USA
I never liked the double tap for dictionary in Lion; it was always hit or miss for me wether or not it would activate. The new single tap seems much more reliable. The option to go with either method would be nice.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation. It's a good looking icon. My personal issue is that I can't move it to where I want it. CMD+drag just opens the menu.

Is there another way to move it?
Command-drag usually works only on Apple icons, and not so much on 3rd party app icons.

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
Things Apple forgot to tell you about OS X 10.8 which will be released soon: Some nice cool features are not working anymore: apple+alt+ctrl+8 doesn't invert screen anymore. battery status: not showing remaining time in menu anymore. apple mail: i don't get any visual feedback while mails are downloading anymore in the folder view. - also: selecting multiple emails doesn't show the count of selected mails anymore. instead a "cool" stack is shown (which is absolutely useless). - Steve, i really do miss you already. Little Snitch (even the developer preview) didn't work for me. Actually caused the whole system to block. had to reboot from USB to fix it. - i'm not sure if i want to keep 10.8. it's the followup to 10.7: making things worse from perfect 10.6.8

Throdne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Actually i am pretty much annoyed by this. Time remaining is a fundamental thing for me i really want to know when i'm "in the field" and i don't want to always click the item to be shown the remaining time, the percentage really means nothing as it doesn't take into account the load of the machine. - I dont care about ******** features like notification center etc., if one of the most fundamental and basic things is suddenly missing.

Finally someone that understands me! F notification center, growl works fine for me.

I know this is kinda provoking: but whose idiot's idea was it to remove that!?

I want to know this too...

On the other hand, the dictation feature is really cool (but: how often will i REALLY use it?). AirPlay is cool, too. - I'm still unsure whether i should install the update, or not ...

dictation is alright, I agree, I don't think I'll be using this a lot. airplay... alright.... I just want them, apple, to make APIs so I can listen to my spotify account with out having to use airfoil, witch only works about 30% of the time.

----------

Yeah I hate that they changed it to a single 3 finger tap. I preferred the double tap.

I Agree. I wish they had an option to change it from 1 tap to 2. But, it being the Post "jobs" Apple, there wont be. They want all macs to feel and act the same. no more personalizing your macs anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.