Battery Stopped Charging

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Whitefang8355, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Whitefang8355 macrumors newbie

My batter is not charging anymore. Before you go and give me a bull stuff answer, my battery is not charging past 30%.

First it was at 100, then dropped to 95, then kept going down to 40% (nothing unusual about that) untill i plugged it in an now it wont charge anymore. It is at 28% and if I unplug the AC adaptor and let the battery run lower it wont charge back up. It has had a long life...

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4675
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 1316

Amperage (mA): -21
    Voltage (mV): 11251
    Cycle Count: 132

AC Charger Information:

Connected:Yes
    Charging: No

Is my battery toast or is there some thing I can do to this one to make it charger back up to full power again? It is a
    Macbook OS-X Tiger 10.4.11 w/ Magsafe Charger, Late 2007 or Early 2008

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I don't think your battery is toast...check to make sure there is nothing in the connectors as they are magnets and can attract stuff that would prevent them from charging.

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

What is your computer?
    Try what upinflames900 suggested. Then try taking the battery out for a few minutes if it is not the newest unibody. Otherwise I would take it Apple to look at it.

4. Whitefang8355 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac OS-X, 10.4.11. And I have tried cleaning it, but the prongs seem to be connecting fine. I can't tell for sure if they are all connecting or not. I have had past experiences with Lithium batteries where draining the battery completely or not fully charging the battery will result in the battery no longer holding a charge. When the power cord is plugged in, the battery does not lose any power, but wont charge any.

5. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

But what model is the computer?

The batteries are usually good for 24 to 36 months.

Do you normally leave it plugged i all of the time? If so, that can be hard on a battery.

6. Whitefang8355 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Tiger OS-X, and my battery is always in and the MagSafe charger plugged into my computer.

7. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

8. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

9. Whitefang8355 thread starter macrumors newbie

What the???

Why did everyone else post responses before you have a good, simple, quick, suggestion for my type of computer that could of helped solve my issue? They all seemed to know what general computer I have.

But all you give me are questions, spam and criticism? How is, Mac OS-X Tiger 10.4.11 with a MagSafe Charger not enough information to know what kind of computer I have?

Its a Macbook, from late 2007 or early 2008. Not positive on the year.

Mac OS-X Tiger 10.4.11

10. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Really? How about we take a look at this thread in chronological order.

Noticed how they asked WHAT computer.

You provided.

Wow, OS X on a Mac; imagine that. The OS is not the computer. I asked:

This is where you still don't get that a computer is different from the OS.

There you provided almost the same response but yet never answered the question.

MagSafe was also introduced in 2006 and has been on three lines; MacBook, MacBook Pro and finally MacBook Air. We know it is not the MacBook Air as it didn't come with Tiger. That leaves the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Both of those lines have had several different generations. The MacBook has been the Polycarbonate and Aluminum models. Chances are Polycarbonate as the aluminum model would have leopard on it. It could still be a MacBook Pro though. So saying MagSafe really doesn't answer the question. But if you used the wiki link you provided, you could see when your model was released. So you don't have a late 2007/early 2008 model.

Does this sound familiar to you?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=471210

Wow, look at what a simple search yields.

Here is why it is important to know what the computer model actually is:
    http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/
    See how it doesn't apply to all models?

Notice how the exchange program has ended.

One thing YOU should keep in mind. You are the with a problem, so it is just that YOUR problem. Enjoy!!!!

11. Whitefang8355 thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded that update, and my computer doesn't need it. My battery is at 89% maximum capacity.
    My battery is not the problem (I think), but my problem has nothing to do with my battery being defective. The battery has done what I expected it to do and it did what it was meant to do for the year and a half I have had the computer.

Here is the problem: The charger is no longer doing its job of charging the battery.

Here is a few reasons why the battery may not be charging:
    The charger, connectors or wires is damaged or malfunctioning.
    The battery is damaged or malfunctioning.

According to coconutBattery it has a Current Battery Capacity of 89%, so my battery appears to be functioning fine and is not damaged from what I can see.
    I have guessed it is my charger, but I wanted to know if anyone else had this same problem or something similar. And if they were able to resolve it or not.

And by the way I figured out what was wrong.
    I charged the battery in my friends computer with his charger, and it charged up just fine to its current max capacity. (My battery is fine)
    Then I charged my battery in his computer with my charger and it did not charger.(My charger is probably the problem)
    Then I charged my battery in my computer with his charger, and it charged up just fine. Then tried my charger right after and it did not charge. (SOOOO, its my charger that is the problem)

12. JohnYouell macrumors newbie

Too Cold To Charge

If your battery indicator is saying "Not Charging" and the power adapter is showing green but you know the battery is not fully charged, the problem may be that your battery is too cold.

Today this happened to me. I went into a coffee shop, plugged up the MBP and got the saying "not charging". I searched the internet but a few minutes later it started charging.

The thing is that I was in a store for quite some time and my bag was in the truck of the car and it is like 15 degrees here today. MBP was cold to touch. When it warmed up it started working.

Hope this helps. Point, don't leave your precious MBP in the cold.