Battery stuck at 100

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wentzelg, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Wentzelg, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017

Wentzelg macrumors member

Wentzelg

Just curious if anyone else has seen a watch (series 2 latest update) that constantly shows 100 percent charge? I've been stuck at home recovering from surgery so my watches have been setting on a charger for about a month. I have two and both are paired to my iPhone 7 plus. It started yesterday when I used my ss. After 15 minutes of use fresh off the charger it showed the charger icon and acted like it was dead. I charged it for maybe 10 minutes and it showed full. I put it back on and in about 2 hours showed the charger icon and acted like a low charge. At this point I reset it and restored it. It did it again 2 hours or so later. Next up I called apple since it is under warranty and they ran the battery diagnostics and all appeared good. They want me to send it in. Since they are sending a box I had a day or two to play with it. I reset it as a new watch and it has worked since then. The only problem is it never shows anything but 100 percent charge. I slept with it all night and in the morning it was still 100 percent. At this point it gave up, decided to wait on the box and a return. Update: the watch went from 100% to charger icon about 2 hours into the day. Definitely something not right.

Here where it gets odd, I switched to my series 2 sport and it is stuck at 100 also. I've not used it since 8/1 and have not installed anything. It was working perfectly when I put it on the charger. I got to thinking it might be the phone and so I reset my network settings ( probably a placebo) and still nothing. I've got two glitched watches. Any thoughts or ideas?

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Try a hard reset by holding down the power button and Digital Crown. This happened to another member and it rectified the issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-stuck-at-100.2060204/

3. Wentzelg thread starter macrumors member

Wentzelg

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What happens when you run it dead/flat?

5. Wentzelg, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

Wentzelg thread starter macrumors member

Wentzelg

I'm about to find out. I'm going to wear it till it dies and try charging then to see if that helps.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    The other thing that strikes me as odd, is that it is two watches doing the same thing? Makes me think somehow the phone is a part of this. I really don't want to reset my phone if I don't need to.

6. Wentzelg thread starter macrumors member

Wentzelg

I have been playing a little bit more. The sport model I put in power save mode and then rebooted and it has started to discharge. I am going to say it is good for now. The ss one is still weird. I tried the power saving mode trick with it and it showed the charge icon again and then promptly rebooted and showed a full charge once I put it on the charger. I am starting to think it may be a hardware issue. I don't ever see the charge icon on the sport. With all the new updates they do discharge much less than before. I may have miss diagnosed the second unit as a result of the issues with the ss one. I will watch it a bit and see what happens. The ss is going back to apple for sure when the box comes.

7. Targets R Us macrumors newbie

Targets R Us

I am having the same problem. Seems to have started sometime shortly(?) after the update to 3.2.3, so far nothing has worked to clear it. Yesterday I contacted Apple support. After the usual questions and running the remote analytics tool on the watch, the help desk agent believes it is a software problem. I now have a genius bar trip scheduled for Sunday. It'll probably be to just hand them the watch to then send it out to the repair depot.

I'll report back with an update when I have more to share.

-Jeff

8. Wentzelg thread starter macrumors member

Wentzelg

Are you showing only the 100 percent charge? Mine also would turn off and show the charger icon. I sent it off to be replaced. My other one started showing a correct discharge after a hard reset and switching to power save then back to non power save. It however did not show the charger icon. I think it is possible that one of mine may have been hardware and the other software.

9. Targets R Us macrumors newbie

Targets R Us

Mine only shows a charge level of 100%. I *think* I am getting inconsistent full charges as well. Starting with a fully 'dead' battery, I get a 100% charge indication after only a minute on the charger.

After leaving the watch on the charge for several hours, the watch will last anywhere between 30 minutes and all day+ before the battery runs out.

-Jeff

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Strange. Several others have reported this "100%" battery glitch and a hard reset has rectified the issue. It must be different or inconsistent for everyone's Watch.

11. Wentzelg, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017

Wentzelg thread starter macrumors member

Wentzelg

So I got an email today stating that they could not replicate the issue on the SS one that shows the charger icon, and were sending my watch back. I contacted Apple Care again and spoke with another Technician who basically wanted me to wait till I get the watch and start down the path again. She said that I would need to reset the watch and setup as new (already done with first tech) and then they could run the diagnostics from my phone (also already done). Very frustrating. I tried to be very polite and persistent but I could tell I was frustrating her. She did eventually transfer me to a senior tech who agreed to flag my second return for replacement.

I realize that any rant I have is totally a first world problem and going on and on about how Apple is failing pointless. Sucks to be me and I will have to wait for another box and the defective one to be returned. It's my fault for not living close to an Apple store. There some politeness, a little social engineering and likely being able to show them the problem and I would probably of had a new watch? In the past I have taken the time to do a 2 hour drive and have been completely satisfied. This time not so much.

I do have to say this is not what I expected from Apple. They typically have been totally cool about doing an advanced replacement apple care or not. I asked several times about that and initially they told me yes they could but eventually came back and said no. Oh well I will certainly give them a fair but frank evaluation when I get the call survey.

12. Targets R Us macrumors newbie

Targets R Us

Here's an update on my 'stuck at 100%' problem.

Between the time I spoke with support and was scheduled to visit the Apple Store, I put the watch through several full charge to full discharge cycles. Literally a half an hour before .I was scheduled to leave for my appointment, the watch started to show a charge level less than 100%.

I had support postpone my visit and put my case with on hold.

The watch has been working fine since then.

Pure speculation leads me to think that the watch lost track of battery use and size. Runnng it through those extreme cycles re-taught it.

--Jeff