Battery Suggesions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetdad, Sep 4, 2008.

1. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

So I have a 14 month old MBpro and the battery is at 34% health and in critical condition so I need a replacement. Instead of spending $130 bucks, what alternative batteries are available? Anyone buy one off ebay? Are there higher capacity batteries available?

Thanks in advance

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hi.

I havn't done any extensive research in the past few months, but last time I checked there was one vendor that offered a slightly extentend life battery (and when I say slightly I mean maybe five - ten extra mins).

A google search brings up FastMac which points to their selection of batteries , which I think may be your only option.

With that said, something tells me that OEM batteries, except for extreme circumstances, are the way to go :D

3. KC2 macrumors regular

This may be a dumb question...I don't know how long expected battery life is for our MBPs, but have you calibrated your battery recently?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

4. gadgetdad thread starter macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I have not recently, I wonder if it will give new life to the battery.

Its plugged in at home right now, when I go to lunch I will unplug it and let it die till I get home and recharge it.

5. group09 macrumors newbie

group09

I have bought OEM batteries on eBay and not been disappointed.

Nice link! I didn't know you could do that.

6. gadgetdad thread starter macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I have completely drained over night and recharged during the day 3 days in a row and I am happy to say I have gone from a 30 % to a 54 % health. Amazing what happens when you cycle. A 24% increase in 3 days is real good. I will probably do this a few more days to see if my health will continue to improve.

So far my drain has not improved to much as I unplugged from my power source 10 minutes ago from 100 and now down to 78.

77 now

Well see how good it actually does.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

You are under the mistaken impression that "calibration" has actually given your battery more life than it had before. Cycling the battery is a waste of time and will do nothing to improve your actual runtime.

Read this post.

8. gadgetdad thread starter macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Is there proof of this other than your own post? :)

9. ZballZ macrumors regular

I agree. Calibration is simply optimizing the communication between the OS and the battery.

...and I did the same as you a few months back, and revived my battery from 50% to almost 75%, unfortunately I did a cycle too many, and I dropped back to around 60% !

... On the other hand, sometimes my battery drops to 0% and I get the warning, but instead of shutting off, a few seconds later the battery will jump to 12%. Weird.

Long story short - it is nice to have a correctly calibrated battery - but running a zillion cycles will do no improvement of the actual battery time.