battery suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hockeyislife91, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Hockeyislife91 macrumors member

I just got my first macbook pro and am curious about battery health. I use my macbook pro for 2 lectures totaling 4hours a day, 2 days per week and return home with about 40% battery each time. Is it better to run the battery down to reserve each time before plugging in or should I plug in when I first return home.

Additionally, On the other 5 days per week my laptop stays home as I do not wish to take my macbook pro to laboratory settings (dangerous chemicals and all) at which time is it better to leave the macbook pro plugged in 100% of the time since the battery is cycled when attending lecture?

And when away for long periods of time (lab/work) do you guys suggest sleep mode or a total power down of the macbook pro?

2. simsaladimbamba

And I usually use the sleep function, even if I don't touch it for days.

3. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

While I believe your battery will last longer if you do full cycles, full charge until full depletion, it can be inconvenient. I would just make sure to calibrate your battery maybe every week or 2 weeks to keep it healthy.

4. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Do not leave it plug in 100% of the time. Based on past experience this will affect the battery life. I also suggest putting it to sleep so it can keep the electrons flowing.

5. Hockeyislife91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that helped alot!

Yeah it is pretty inconvenient.

it would only be plugged in when I am at home and have it on is that no good?

Overall I keep hearing that cycles is what does the most damage and that is what I am trying to avoid by treating it as a desktop while at home. I usually bring it home from lectures on tuesday and thursday and let it charge and run it when the LED is green as I heard the battery is not being charged at this time. Is this to be true?

6. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

When the power adapter is plugged in, the laptop will draw power from it and not the battery, even when the battery is charging/fully charged. I would not recommend leaving it like that for the period of time you're mentioning (5 days). It's always good to use batteries regularly and not leaving it idle for long periods of time.

7. Hockeyislife91 thread starter macrumors member

I would been running it on battery on tuesdays and thursdays so it would be 4 consecutive days of AC power then battery day, AC day, then battery day

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not necessary to fully drain the battery each time you use it. You also don't need to calibrate every week or two. Only calibrate every month or two. Read the FAQ that simsaladimbamba posted.
    Sleep doesn't keep the electrons moving. Using it on battery does. Read the FAQ.
    Cycles do not damage your battery. Your battery needs to be cycled to stay healthy. When the battery is fully charged, it stops charging. It will not overcharge. Read the FAQ. It really will answer your questions and show you how to properly use your battery.

9. Hockeyislife91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! The FAQ says to run the mac on battery every 2-3 days which is what I will be doing. Thanks again everyone!