Battery suggestions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Jun 10, 2010.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Hi was on a trip to DC on a tour bus. The bus had not aux outlet for my charger. Didn't use 3gs iPhone much in DC periodic checking of emails, forums, our son using iPhone on bus to listen to you tube.

I was getting nervous at the end of the day cause my battery was at 20%, luckily we stopped at a rest stop as I was able to charge while I was eating right next to an outlet.

I never had issues with battery until now.

What do others recommend in situations like this when you can't stop in middle of tour to find an outlet to charge up. This was very frustrating today.

Marc

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/EPE54B) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I use a phone that has a replaceable battery. That way I don't worry, I have a spare :D

3. dpmcdonald macrumors member

How about an external battery or battery case?

4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

The youtube usage was the big drain on your battery. Streaming video over 3g is real power hog. The only solution to extending battery life is to get one of those cases that holds axillary charge for your iphone.

5. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The Richard Solo unit works OK also, but is slow charging.

7. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

My iPhone is in an Otterbox Defender case, can any of these externals be used with it?

Marc

8. TLewis macrumors 65816

Thirded. :cool:

I use a no-longer-made Sanyo Eneloop external battery, just slightly bigger than a deck of playing cards. It's a 5000 mAh battery (yes, "five-thousand" :D ), it connects via the standard USB iPhone cable, and I can get at least two full iPhone charges out of it. I bought mine for $30, but I later saw it for $15.

Oooh, just found a youtube review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgA0Ue_sW9c

It's too bad you can't this any more. :(

9. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

the guy in video should be getting commision from sanyo, I'm sold out on it. Found one.

Marc

10. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I almost always have wifi and BT off, and keep my screen at about %30. Usually lasts about a day and a half with normal call/text/web browsing usage. Some music here and there. Good enough for me since I charge every night anyways.

11. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Wow that guys voice is awesome. lol

I have a Kensington one and it works pretty good, I've only used it twice though heh.

12. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

My usage is 1GB/ month. When I was in DC I kept on edge and when I needed to check email and surf and when our son wanted to game and listen to you tube I switched to 3G.

Marc

13. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Hi anyone use;

imaxpower.com

the guy on you tube vid said it's as good as the sanyo but more money.

But it directs to;

newtrent.com

Marc

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Satechi

I use this. You can get about 3 full charges out of it before you need to juice the battery up again. Not sure if you are looking for the external batteries or the battery/case combo but this works out real nice for me. Since you have an Otterbox case, if the OEM USB cable can fit in the dock connector with the case on then this battery will work fine.

15. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I've had an IMP500 for a while now. It charges up an iPhone - from dead, to 100%, 4.5 times.
    There are even higher mAh ones available too!
    It's always in my bag, as a peace-of-mind backup.

16. calvy macrumors 65816

I do. I bought it from amazon for around 66 bucks I think. I got the IMP-880 and I love it. I charge it about every 3 or 4 days, and I charge my iphone with the IMP-880 every night. I use the Apple USB cable plugged directly into the battery back and it works like a charm. I'm quite happy with it.

I had a Richard Solo 1800 before, and though it works, I didn't like the way it hung off the bottom of my phone.

17. satechi macrumors newbie