battery supposedly dropped

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gaura Mohana, May 23, 2011.

1. Gaura Mohana macrumors regular

hi
    just noticed this today

also isnt 20watts power beign sucked waaaaay too much? as you can no major programs open, brightness + Keylights at 100% + usb modem plugged in (5w) = 20? sound like waay too much to me
    shoudnt it give me 5 hours with everything at 100% atleast? it tells me 4 tops.. ive had this since the beginning of feb (bought brand new from apple with applecare)
    I did a callibration I think less then 30 days ago

Attached Files:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You are aware that the more you do on the computer and the more peripherals are plugged in, the faster your battery will drain?

Apple tests their battery life like so:
    Bluetooth off
    50% brightness
    time machine off
    no external peripheral connected
    browsing 20 websites in a loop, none of them containing flash, switching pages every 30 seconds
    having a word/pages document open in edit mode

So, judging from that and the activity you're describing, 4 hours seems right, maybe even on the high side of things.

Oh and calibration does nothing for battery life, it just keeps the battery meter more precise in it's estimates.

3. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

ok. but what about the 89% battery life? I know its not terribbly accurate, but how do I get to show the proper amount again (according to my estimates = probably 97% atleast)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As snaky69 said, your battery life is dependent on many factors, including screen brightness, WiFi, bluetooth, apps/widgets/processes running, etc. Your battery health will fluctuate up and down over time, as well. Calibration makes your reading more accurate, but doesn't change your battery's health. Just run your Mac on battery when you need to and plug in to AC power when you can. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: