Battery Swelling? 15" MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nocky24, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Nocky24 macrumors member

I received this certified refurb from Apple on Friday, but have noticed that the bottom lid isn't entirely flush with the rest of the body. It only had 9 charge cycles when I opened it and its gone through an extra cycle since then.

I've tried reseating the case, but it's the same. The side where it's least flush is the trackpad, hence the reason for asking about battery swelling. However, is it possible that in just one battery cycle and after going through the refurb process that it's really the battery causing this?

I've checked the battery and there's no obvious signs of swelling however.

A bit annoyed really as a couple of the tiny LEDs on the sleep light are dead as well :/ so much for quality control lol

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is possible, however unlikely, that the battery is swelling, which is a sign of defect. Take it to the Apple store and let them look at it. If it is defective, they'll replace it.

3. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Bring it into an Apple store ASAP. If it's not your fault, they'll replace it for free because that's not normal. You shouldn't have to do any of that, and I wouldn't go any further to troubleshoot it.

4. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Take to Apple.
    Probably defect so get it checked.

6. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

I did look at the battery and there doesn't appear to be any swelling or bulging anywhere. Although I did notice that the threads for the screws around the battery appeared to sit very slightly below the battery itself.

7. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Get thee to an Apple store. The moment you mention battery swelling, they should be all over taking back your MBP. Nobody wants an exploding battery.

8. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

Appointment booked at the bullring for this afternoon, so I'll let ya know how I get on!

I needed them to order in a replacement sleep indicator light anyways.

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

im pretty sure the slee/wawake light only has one LED to light it up LOL

10. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

So did I until I had this issue. It's built up like a selection of pixels and 2 or 3 are dead.

Anyways I've just got back from brum and the genius said the battery was fine, no swelling, however I could have the top case replaced due to the sleep light indicator being faulty, which should indirectly fix the flush finish 'issue'. I didn't put it in for repair yet as I thought I'd have a think first as it means taking it all apart :s however he did say I could get it changed anytime within the warranty period and added a few notes to the serials account.