Battery swelling on new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bigshot2, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Bigshot2 macrumors newbie

I have just experienced an unusual pattern of very short battery life with my iPhone over the last few days. My iPhone is a couple of months old. Today I noticed that the back has popped open at the rear of the iPhone behind the main on/off switch. I took it to a Vodaphone shop where I bought it under a service contract. They thought the issue was caused by a faulty battery which has swollen up and popped the back open as described above. The phone has not been dropped or abused in any way.
    Anyone else experienced this swelling battery problem?
    My world has just shattered as I felt I possessed the best phone in the world.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Haven't experienced it, but definitely get that replaced. It's a safety issue at this point.

3. Bigshot2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Swelling Battery

Today I received a new iPhone from Apple Store with no quibbles. Thank you Apple

4. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

5. Dallasinc macrumors newbie

I am having same issue on my iPhone 4s. Noticed a couple of days ago that battery life was completely draining in two hours. Then started noticing light come from around the side of the phone. Now the phone has swelled about 1/4 inch! Still working - but nervous it will stop at any time and just completely "pop" open. Did I mention that I am out of the country for the next week? (This only occurs when when one is 1,500 miles from an Apple Store.)
    My question is: My iphone is set up on iTunes to my iMac at home, I have my Mac Air with me and can back it up to there, but will I lose everything on the phone that I have from the iMac iTunes at home if I do that? :(

6. D-ray macrumors newbie

This just happened on my CDMA iPhone 4. I wondered why the back glass was coming out of the rear bezel, so took it to the Apple Store. The Genius said- how about I take it in back and have a look inside. They brought it back and showed me the expanded battery. Apple Store replaced it instantly, and graciously.