Battery swelling questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doktordoris, Apr 27, 2010.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hullo,
    No doubt Iam being stupid, but I recall seeing pictures of MBPs with horifficly swollen batteries.

I have recently noticed that the lower right corner of my track-pad has a distinct bulge in it. When I run my finger round the inside of the case where the pad sits the pad is recessed, about 1mm around it's edge, apart from the lower right hand corner, where it is almost flush with the unibody.
    Ordinarily I wouldn't care but after having seen the swollen battery pictures and learning about that problem, discovering my trak-pad bulge, and then looking at MBP plans and internal photo's I see that the right hand side is where the battery lives.

All those facts taken together alarm me somewhat.

Should I worry? Or just be calm and enjoy my mac?

2. puercaeli macrumors regular

Is this pre-unibody? Just curious
    But in any case if it is swelling so much that it is impeding track pad usage I think you should take it to Apple Store even if it is out of warranty...

3. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I have only had this MBP for 3 weeks, from new. In fact I got it on thursday, and on the next tuesday the new ones were released.

The bulge doesn't inconvenience me at all, it is just there and I can feel it. Finger-tips are jolly sensitive aren't they.

SO should I freak out or forget it?

4. puercaeli macrumors regular

I think you should freak out;)
    Not saying this is a sign of battery about to explode but such battery bulge can compromise the structural integrity of the case(by continually expanding and deforming). Also, battery bulge does not usually happen in such a new machine... just get the battery replaced and I think you will be fine.