Battery Test on rMBP Mid-2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Explicit Content, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Explicit Content, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015

Explicit Content macrumors member

Hey.

I have a rMBP mid-2012 and i am thinking that the battery is ending sooner than it has to be. How can i test my battery?

I don't mean the battery cycle. I mean, how can i test my on-screen time without holding a chronometer and using it. Is there an application or something like that?

Thank you.

Specs if needed;

15"
    i7
    256 SSD
    8GB RAM

Fair solving for problem: i found out that i usually use the graphic switcher (in energy section on settings) off and that means a lot of power drain i think, now i use with it on and using auto brightness and getting at least 1.5x battery performance.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Battery life is going to vary heavily depending on usage. If the screen is on maximum brightness and the CPU is pegged at 100%, the battery won't last as long as if the screen were at 75% and the CPU was being utilized at 50%.

If OSX isn't giving you "Battery may need to be replaced soon" warnings, you're probably fine.

3. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your reply.

No i don't get that warning but even when i do clean install and just surf web on safari and maybe listening music on spotify, i get 3-3.5 hours.

The screen brightness usually is 13 out of 16 and automatic brightness disabled but last time i enable that option and didn't catch much difference.

Also there is some heating even most basic usage.

4. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

That's odd, look into activity monitor and see what's the most active. You using speakers or headphone when listening to spotify? I mean with that screen brightness, I'd expect at least 5 hours.

3 hours is low.

5. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

I am doing a clean install now. When it finish what do you suggest me to do ?

It depends on spotify. Other than that there wasn't heating until about a year ago.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't know which version of OSX you're running, but this might help you track down whatever is causing the heat and excess battery usage.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202776

7. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

It's 10.11.1 El Capitan

8. idufour macrumors member

Spotify use a lot of power :S Try the same without it a tell us!

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Use the information on the link I posted to track down the program that is using your battery.

10. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

I can't find an useful thing at your link. I did clean install and now it shows %98 battery life and says 3:18 Left.

There are no applications except default ones.

11. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Use activity monitor to view which apps have the highest energy impact.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464#energy

13. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like your battery may just be shot.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your battery is nearing on 4 years old. There's nothing wrong with it, apart from old age. Batteries do that, they're a consumable item.

If it bothers you that much, take it into Apple for a new one.

16. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

I bought it in mid 2013 so it's not even 3 years old. It bothers me yes but i am trying to getting help and go pay your money and get your new apple product is not a genius idea. Is it?

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

Unless something is eating away at CPU power, there truly is nothing you can do about it apart from that. Genius idea or not.

Lower your brightness, turn off time machine and bluetooth, use safari instead of chrome, that's just about the extent of it.

18. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

Is battery replacement a good idea? Because i usually use safari, and turn off the bluetooth. There must be a problem about battery. It showed 3:15 hours on %100 charge.

19. snaky69 macrumors 603

The time remaining is an estimate, nothing more, and it fluctuates constantly. I wouldn't bother checking it. Take it with a huge grain of salt.

Does it last as long as you need it to/used to?

20. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
  21. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

@snaky69 No it doesn't last as long as i need. That's the problem.

@arcite Thank you for your reply, it shows 488 Cycle and battery status is good.

22. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

Fair solving for problem: i found out that i usually use the graphic switcher (in energy section on settings) off and that means a lot of power drain i think, now i use with it on and using auto brightness and getting at least 1.5x battery performance.

Thanks to everyone who shared their opinions.