Battery Time does not add up.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LadySapphire, Aug 25, 2008.

1. LadySapphire macrumors newbie

This might just be a rounding issues, but I wanted to see if anyone else is seeing this.

Here is the breakdown.

1) Unplug phone from overnight charge at 7:30am

2) Check e-mail 2Xs during the day.

3) At 3:30pm (same day (8 hours later)) Look at usage because the battery is less then 50%.

4) Puzzle over how in 8 hours the iPhone logged 3 hours 11 min of usage and 8 hours 12 min of standby.

I know the iPhone is powerful, but I didn't see timewarping in the marketing at all.

Seriously I only used the phone for less then 20 minuets today, so I am assuming the rest of the time was the connection to exchange. So is anyone else seeing the timewarp?

2. tomashi macrumors regular

Yes, i've been trying to figure out this for the longest time. My best guess is anyone hooked up to exchange is having this problem. Push email just doesn't feel like it's implemented properly into the OS.

It kills battery life for sure. I ended up turning off PUSH for the past day and my battery life is spectacular. I'm talking double the normal time I usually get. I end up just fetching email manually, but it saves so much on battery life.

Pisses me off, how could they screw this up.

3. alFR macrumors 68020

They didn't screw it up - to have push email your phone needs to send a heartbeat signal to the exchange server to maintain an open TCP/IP connection. That requires data transmission, which means it needs to use the wifi or the cellular network (plus the processor etc.). That needs power. You'll see the same effect on any push-enabled device.

Could they optimise it a bit more? Probably. Can they make push have zero power cost? Of course not.

4. LadySapphire thread starter macrumors newbie

I know push will use power, that is not the point. The point is, that in 8 hours, the phone logged 11 hours and 20 minutes between standby and usage time.

I will add I will likely have to kill the push email for now, because at charging 2Xs a day, my Battery will be dead in 3 months

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I won't swear to it, but I am pretty sure that the error lies in the Stand By time actually.

I believe that even if you are using the phone, the Stand By time also keep going up in addition to usage time if that make sense.

My phone today is a prime example.

I took it off the charger last night at around 11:15 PM.

It is now at around 8:15 PM.

That is nine hours.

The phone says Standby: 9 hours.

The problem is, it also says 32 minutes usage.

That is a total of 9:30, which isn't possible.

So I think the standby time is more like a "total time powered on" meter in reality.

6. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I have push turned off and i get pretty good battery time i do think push is a thing you need to sacrifice if you want decent battery time.

7. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Do yourself a favor OP, go to Settings > General and turn "Location Services" off.

Let me know how that works out.

8. eneisch macrumors 6502a

FYI - Standby time is total time the phone has been on since it was fully charged and it includes the usage time. This has been asked and answered before.