Battery time is low

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asukulu, Aug 13, 2011.

1. asukulu macrumors newbie

Hi, I just purchased a new mac book pro 15" with lion installed and Ive noticed that when fully charged it never has more than about 5-6 hours of remaining battery time on a full charge!! This is with one browser window open and all energy settings set to the minimum possible. I have the screen brightness down to about 2 notches so I can barely even see it. I do not have parallels or anything like that installed. Is this normal?? I was under the impression that it has 12 hours battery time but Im only getting half that at the very most. If I do nothing it may go up 1 hour but who does nothing on their mac? Ive checked the battery status and it says normal. Should I take it back and get it replaced?? Also I am having major issues connecting to the internet. I cannot connect via ethernet or wifi however my modem and router are not supported by my isp so Im left to my own devices to try and configure them. Its like another language to me. I just try and change things and see what happens but no luck so far. Sometimes the wifi will connect but then later it will be disconnected again. Network diagnostics does nothing to help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Aznskill2k macrumors newbie

I am getting a similar problem. Battery has 80 cycle on it, at 101% but with just safari open it last about 5-6hrs. Is there any app that tracks how long that current cycle last you? Coconut battery/istat does not have that.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have 80 cycles and your health is 101%, your battery isn't calibrated properly. See the link I posted for the calibration procedure. Your readings are inaccurate.

5. asukulu thread starter macrumors newbie

But the apple website says that calibration is no longer necessary with the new models. However I did calibrate and it made no diff.

My battery says 10 cycles and at 100% only has 5-6 hours. I think Im going to take it in and get them to replace the battery.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's showing 101% after 80 cycles, it's obviously inaccurate. Even though newer batteries come pre-calibrated, that doesn't mean you should never calibrate if you suspect your readings are inaccurate. Calibration does not have a permanent effect.

7. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

About calibration and percentages...

Often your percentage is based on the following items 'Current Capacity' and 'Design Capacity' often a new/er battery will sport higher 'Current Capacity' than 'Design' this will of course degrade over time.

The issue is battery life and usage. I don't know where the OP heard 12 hour battery life since that has never been on a mac portable in my lifetime, but closer into the 7-8 hour range certainly is.

Check to see if bluetooth is on, also SSD and HHD do make a difference. Also try to run integrated graphics only.

*I'm running a freshly installed battery in my '08 Unibody with 1 cycle, 5100 mAh current capacity and 4800 mAh design capacity; putting it at 106%

8. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Not only has 12 hours never been on a Mac, it's never been a possibility on ANY computer (with the assumption that at least light web browsing is involved; not just sitting there). 10 hours was reached by an HP netbook, that's about it. A full powered computer? Mac batteries already have an incredible capacity in such a package; it matches most 9 cells without the added bulk.

This generalization does not include sheet batteries.

You're going to be laughed out of the store. Especially because you never bothered to actually USE it for the said hours. You're basing everything on a very crude calculation/icon.

9. asukulu thread starter macrumors newbie

I have SSD does that reduce battery time remaining? But surely 5-6 hours on 100% charge at 10 cycles is faulty??

As I said I HAVE Callibrated

10. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Who cares if you've calibrated.

USE it, and see what happens.

11. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

SSD should only help your battery.

See if there is anything running in the background that is demanding so much power. I've noticed personally that iTunes can be a deal breaker if battery is more of a priority.

12. asukulu thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing else running just one browser window

13. maxxed macrumors newbie

You guys should have done your research. The advertised battery life on MBP's is nowhere near accurate. What you have is perfectly normal - apple lies on its spec.

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

screen

wait for it

brightness

Turn it down.

:D It's been a slow night, sorry.

15. asukulu thread starter macrumors newbie

youre either too lazy to actually read the whole thread or just
    wait for it

Too thick:rolleyes:

16. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Also, I've never had my battery life show more than 5:30 or something with 50% brightness and gfxcardstatus set to using just the integrated. However, I've been using it on battery for the past hour and it's still showing 5:16. It varies way too much depending on your changing use.

17. EchoPure macrumors member

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your health was already at 96%, but was inaccurately reported as 97%. Calibration made your reading more accurate. Read the Battery FAQ I posted in the 2nd post of this thread for more details.

19. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Try resting SMC. I did this today and after the battery time calculation finished I was getting about 7 hours of battery life again. Again, this is only a calculation and can be effected by the activity being performed on the Macbook Pro.

By the way, my cycle count on my 2009 MacBook Pro is 404.