Battery time on MBP 15 running Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vbedia, Feb 9, 2014.

1. vbedia macrumors regular

I would like to know how long lasts a MBP 15 fully charged running windows 8. I was thinking using a virtual machine too, but if I can run windows natively with a decent battery time that would be better. Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It completely depends on what specific workload and settings you use, which can vary widely from one user to another.

3. vbedia thread starter macrumors regular

No heavy workload. I do basically all my work on Mavericks. This would be playing old games ( monkey island, king quest...) I just miss them.

4. tron2 macrumors newbie

King Quest rocks...along with all other great Sierra Adventures games. Too bad they don't make more of these games anymore (just few indie developers doing it).

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well, in Boot Camp, it won't last more than 5 hours because Boot Camp will only use the dGPU.

6. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I usually get about 4 hours.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've gotten less battery time when running windows, partly because it lacks the power saving features for the MBP then OSX does. Not to say windows lacks these but it lacks them for the MBP

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Does your rMBP have a discreet GPU? That will make a difference. If it only has Iris Pro graphics, you should be able to squeeze 4-5 hours out of it in Windows. If it has the 650/750M, you'd be lucky to see 2-3 hours, and that's only doing basic tasks. Playing games will shorten it further.