Battery Time Remaining Option Missing???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cboy, Jul 3, 2012.

1. cboy macrumors newbie

My brother's new 2012 MBA he just got doesnt have the battery time option.

Mine does.

Both are 2012 13" MBA's
    i5 1.8Ghz
    8GB Ram Option

See pictures below. Anyone else with this issue?

MINE
    [​IMG]

BRO
    [​IMG]

2. cboy thread starter macrumors newbie

weird. I dont look at the MBP section cause I dont own one :)

Its strange that in the 1st link you posted they say its missing in 10.7.4 but mine is on 10.7.4 and shows it.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Remember that certain software patches were issued shortly after the release of the RMBP. Some of them were specific to the new Mac. I can't see why it's been removed though, but I suppose folks use other more accurate battery monitoring stat. pro, Coconut battery etc.

4. nobackup macrumors member

nobackup

Slimbatterymonitor .. freeware and gives this back ... That its missing is also the case on a MBP NON-retena 13& 15 (Think it came with that immediate 1.2 G update that was required) ... and in Mountain Lion ...

the above is an adequate replacement and ML compatible (That free upgrade end of July :) ), not all the rest are :( ..

and did you notice the SMCFancontrol no longer shows the CPU Temp ... as they changed something here as well only one working is iSTAT Menu :(

5. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I never looked before but now that you mention it, its missing from my 2011 MBP running 10.8 So looks like they removed it

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. Prime85, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Yea, I only use the percentage anyway, but some people like to select the time to display in the bar.

That was something apple shouldn't have messed with. Give people the choice.

[​IMG]

8. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Although I do like the time it can be like a kid on fizzy drinks at times flicking back and forwards but I agree the choice should be there!

10. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

This change makes no damn sense and its really ticking me off. I have used time since forever. What the heck does percentage mean when there is no baseline to reference. Percentage of what? How long is that? How much time do I have left if it says 42%? Lame.

11. glewis macrumors newbie

I have this too on my 2012 11" MBA. Hope this gets changed.

12. theSeb, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It means that you have 42% of your battery charge left. This is what every device such as a phone reports so I dont think it's that confusing. The time is pointless since it changes all of the time depending on what you are doing.

Do you know how to read a fuel gauge in a car? The percentage is exactly the same. If you have 50% of your fuel left, that means you have 50% of your fuel tank's maximum capacity. How you drive and how much fuel your engine consumes are the factors that determine how far you can drive on half a tank.

13. DDGator macrumors newbie

True, but a simple trip computer that estimates "miles to empty" is a whole lot more useful than your standard gas gauge...

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

True, but that also changes depending on how you drive. Having said all that, whilst I prefer the percentage and use it on all my computers, I think removing the option for others is odd.