Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

cboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
My brother's new 2012 MBA he just got doesnt have the battery time option.

Mine does.

Both are 2012 13" MBA's
i5 1.8Ghz
8GB Ram Option

See pictures below. Anyone else with this issue?

MINE
1e91886a.jpg

BRO
f864d649.jpg

cboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
weird. I dont look at the MBP section cause I dont own one :)

Its strange that in the 1st link you posted they say its missing in 10.7.4 but mine is on 10.7.4 and shows it.

Comment

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

Its strange that in the 1st link you posted they say its missing in 10.7.4 but mine is on 10.7.4 and shows it.

Remember that certain software patches were issued shortly after the release of the RMBP. Some of them were specific to the new Mac. I can't see why it's been removed though, but I suppose folks use other more accurate battery monitoring stat. pro, Coconut battery etc.

Comment

nobackup

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
Slimbatterymonitor .. freeware and gives this back ... That its missing is also the case on a MBP NON-retena 13& 15 (Think it came with that immediate 1.2 G update that was required) ... and in Mountain Lion ...

the above is an adequate replacement and ML compatible (That free upgrade end of July :) ), not all the rest are :( ..

and did you notice the SMCFancontrol no longer shows the CPU Temp ... as they changed something here as well only one working is iSTAT Menu :(

Comment

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

I never looked before but now that you mention it, its missing from my 2011 MBP running 10.8 So looks like they removed it

Comment

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
It does show in the drop down though

Yea, I only use the percentage anyway, but some people like to select the time to display in the bar.

That was something apple shouldn't have messed with. Give people the choice.

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-04%20at%201.34.18%20AM.png

Last edited:
Comment

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Although I do like the time it can be like a kid on fizzy drinks at times flicking back and forwards but I agree the choice should be there!

Comment

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
This change makes no damn sense and its really ticking me off. I have used time since forever. What the heck does percentage mean when there is no baseline to reference. Percentage of what? How long is that? How much time do I have left if it says 42%? Lame.

Comment

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
This change makes no damn sense and its really ticking me off. I have used time since forever. What the heck does percentage mean when there is no baseline to reference. Percentage of what? How long is that? How much time do I have left if it says 42%? Lame.

It means that you have 42% of your battery charge left. This is what every device such as a phone reports so I dont think it's that confusing. The time is pointless since it changes all of the time depending on what you are doing.

Do you know how to read a fuel gauge in a car? The percentage is exactly the same. If you have 50% of your fuel left, that means you have 50% of your fuel tank's maximum capacity. How you drive and how much fuel your engine consumes are the factors that determine how far you can drive on half a tank.

Last edited:
Comment

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
True, but a simple trip computer that estimates "miles to empty" is a whole lot more useful than your standard gas gauge...

True, but that also changes depending on how you drive. Having said all that, whilst I prefer the percentage and use it on all my computers, I think removing the option for others is odd.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.