Battery time with Lion or Maverick?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by n1tut, Jun 12, 2013.

1. n1tut macrumors regular

I am presuming that the increased battery time is measured with Maverick, so is likely to be less with Lion as installed at present.

tut

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That is what I am thinking, but I still don't see it being that big of a difference

3. n1tut thread starter macrumors regular

Just that they were claiming that Maverick improves battery life, so it would be interesting to see what actual figures the first users are getting.

tut

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

agreed, it would be nice if that is the ML quote. I usually get more than the stated battery life since I am a light user and mostly surf and do word processing.

5. enisala macrumors newbie

Imho there are many people who do not know anything about new systems such as Mavericks so when one wants to buy some computer, he or she head to apple.com and sees the ad in which apple tell "all-day MacBook" so it should refer to current OS

6. tortex macrumors member

This is with Lion, Mavericks isn't out yet so they cannot advertise against it.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm looking forward to the reviews by Engadget etc. to see if their real-world usage is anywhere close to 9 and 12 hours as advertised. I don't expect it will, but it will still be neat to see the results.

Also: I suspect this push for "all day battery life" implies that NO retina display is in the works for the MacBook Air. They surely wouldn't advertise 12-hour battery life and then introduce a retina MBA that only gets, say, 7 or 8.

8. n1tut thread starter macrumors regular

Spoke to Apple today, and was told that they "Presumed" it was with Maverick as that was what we would soon be using, and it gave better battery life.

tut

9. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Mavericks offers a host of small features that help battery life and cpu management. There were only a small number of actual extra features relating to experience, the true awesomeness of Mavericks is behind the scenes.
    Coupled with the awesomeness that is mobile Haswell CPU's running at sooo low voltage while still producing fantastic performance and the better battery you get 12 hour battery life.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

11. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

That's weird, I spoke to a guy from apple today and he said the opposite, that it's with mountain lion as mavericks is still a few months away.
    Weird :)

12. n1tut thread starter macrumors regular

I could tell by her voice that she was not sure, so it was probably a guess.

It would make sense for it to be Lion as that is what buyers will be getting, which means if Maverick lives up to its billing, battery life should be even greater.

tut

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I agree. That would be dirty selling laoptops to people with a battery life that is not valid for a few months.

14. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

I'm using 10.9 DP1 on my 2012 CTO MBA 13" 128GB/8GB/1.8ghz i5. I've noticed roughly ~1 additional hour of basic usage (internet, email). Was noticing 6-7 hours before, now looking like 7-8 based on where the battery indicator has been last couple of nights. Tonight at 86% with projected 6:46 remaining.

"Apps using significant power" pull down is cool too. Not a big deal if you've been running iStat menus, but nice to see some of this starting to get built in.

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 128GB/8GB/1.3ghz i5 2013 version. I will be loading this DP1 on it as well and reporting back.

15. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Lion. I have been using my test Macbook air 13 inch since about 10am this morning. I still have 4 hours left of battery according to the Air.

It's crazy fantastic. This is based on word use, music playing, and about 20 minutes of youtube use.

16. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

It made it through my entire day of meetings and statistical computing with nearly all of the battery left. It kept telling me that it had over 17 hours remaining, which of course was dubious. But still, I can't believe how resilient the battery is. Using maxed-out 2013 13", running ML.

17. mavere macrumors member

Why would you presume that? Even with the least trustworthy OEM wouldn't do something like that.

The MBA battery life is part of their promotional materials and specs, and it applies for the here and now. Anything else is ridiculously obvious false advertisement.

18. tortex macrumors member

Unless the specifically state this life is with Mavericks, it has to be with the current shipping OS. You cannot falsely advertise.

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

20. jyhfeei macrumors newbie

Laptop magazine also redid their test as they had an unstable Wifi connection during their first test. The 2013 MBA battery test results are up to 10 hours, 53 minutes now. They are going to try it again to confirm the results.

21. DavidC1 macrumors member

I find it strange that Maverick is being touted to have Timer Coalescing. That is said to be one of the major reasons for Haswell(ULT and Y) battery life gains. It basically allows substantially increased time in idle power states, which is how it gains huge light load battery life increases.

Based on user reports here, Mount Lion must have it already.

(FYI, Windows 8 has it as well. So its not new)