battery times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roboGc, Jul 8, 2014.

1. roboGc macrumors regular

roboGc

i charged my MBP 2012 to 100% and sum times it says 6 hours 35 min remaining and other times it says 5 hours and 35 min remaining why is there an hour difference and why ??? just curious

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

it depends on what kind of tasks your laptop is performing. the heavier the load, the quicker the battery will drain. if you're just sitting there with wifi turned off, and typing some document in pages, then it will take the battery much longer to discharge than if you had wifi on, browsing youtube, or watching movies.

i have a 2012 mbp, and its battery usually lasts 4:30-5:30 hours.

3. roboGc thread starter macrumors regular

roboGc

i fully charge it , boot it up and it may say 6 hours 35min or 5 hours 35min , and all iv done is turn on the laptop not opened anything

4. simsaladimbamba

Maybe Spotlight is indexing in the background, maybe your screen brightness is different due to the brightness in your location.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

5. roboGc thread starter macrumors regular

roboGc

DUDE AN HOUR DIFFRENCE WTF!!!!! :eek:

6. simsaladimbamba

No need to scream, please read the FAQ I linked to, it will provide calm through the use of knowledge. If you still have questions after that, come back, but remain calm.

As for the stated times, those are varying due to the current power usage of your computer. Sometimes a process might hog the CPU for a minute or less and then the time display varies compared to a time when less power was needed.

7. roboGc thread starter macrumors regular

roboGc

wasent screaming just shocked

8. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, misread that. There is a shock smiley: :eek:

9. leman macrumors 604

The remaining battery time indicator is just an estimate and will wildly fluctuate. As previously stated, it can deliver a smaller estimate just because some process is happening to run in the background at the time you look. Or maybe its reconnection to WiFi. Or whatever.

10. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

It calculates it based on how much power it is currently drawing. That will fluctuate based on the tasks you are performing. For example, let's say you're loading and rendering a heavy, Javascript, Flash filled web page. This causes the CPU and GPU to draw more power, which raises the total wattage your system is drawing. Let's say it jumps to 20 watts. If you have a 65 watt hour charge, your computer will think it has about 3 hours of life left. Once the page is rendered, your CPU and GPU will stop drawing as much power and you might go down to 12 watts or so. You computer will now think it has 5+ hours remaining.