Battery tip for the iPhone 4s that works!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

Ok so it's obvious after reading all the threads and even starting one asking who is NOT having problems with their battery that it's a hit or miss problem. However one thing I do know is something that I did and many others have done that has helped their battery life tremendously.

Use your phone until it dies completely, to the point where it turns itself off. Then plug it into the wall adapter charger and KEEP IT OFF while you charge it until full. I would suggest even letting it charge a little longer after it reaches 100%. I let mine charge for about 3 hours while OFF after the complete drain.

Ever since my battery has improved significantly and I've seen others mention the same thing helped them. Give it a shot, you've got nothing to lose!

2. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

the thing is, the iphone has been out for one week.

The iphoners haven't given a chance for any iphones to allow the battery to "break itself in" meaning, Everyone's battery is going to get better!

Same thing with iphone 4, it got better as you used it. Mines getting better with every charge.

Those who have great battery life must have batteries that are either not new, or reused or something.

3. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Thanks! Though, coming from the Nexus S 4g (rooted w/battery tweaks), the 4ses (did I do that right?) battery is like a dream come true. Just making it from morning to night w/out a recharge and i'm happy. I'll try doing this, any increase would make it that much more awesome!

4. silversun macrumors newbie

silversun

I thought that is a common thing to do after purchasing any brand new device. Users should at least do that around 3 times

5. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

lol this is not a common thing, and no you should not do it three times

6. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I've done the whole run until empty then charge to 100% about 5 times already... doesnt fix the issue.

7. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

That was the case 10 years ago to do it for your first charge but technology has come a long way since then and it is not needed anymore, at least that's what they tell you. In this case I beg to differ since it's helped a lot.

----------

Well it's worked for a lot of people. Make sure you charge past 100% while the phone is OFF before turning back on to use.

8. iphonenub macrumors regular

Wait, since when can you charge the phone while it's off?

9. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Meaning plug it into the wall and initiate the charge while it's off after the battery completely drained.

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Since always. Plug charger in. Turn phone off.

11. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

You have to turn if off AFTER you plug it in.

12. reice23 macrumors newbie

When my phone dies completely to where its off, when i plug the charger in it'll charge off until about 5% then automatically cut back on

13. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

If you let it drain till it shuts off and then plug it in, it will turn back on by its self after about 5%

unless you mean to turn it back off after that and let it charge turned off.

14. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Right I'm aware of that. Don't turn it off when it turns back on. Let it sit on the charger until it reaches 100% and then give it a little extra time before unplugging and starting to use.

15. Eradik macrumors regular

I did this once and noticed greatly increased battery life. I also recommend this, along with all the other tips in other threads.

16. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Another person with success from this. :D

17. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

i also did this once, but it wasn't on purpose lol.....i did a ton of other things to the phone, so i dont know if it was because i let it drain all the way...but my battery is better now.

18. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I did this once as well not on purpose but I'm not sure really helped. But I really have not noticed any battery issues either

19. akj27 macrumors member

That's like the most inconvenient thing one can do. What if my battery only reaches 0% when I wake up in the morning and I'm ready to go to work. What do I do? That's not just practical and if I have to resort to that then well, I'd rather not say.

20. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

Do it on your day off?

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Use the crap out of your battery during the day.

22. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the worst case scenario you're without a phone for 3 hours during the day while it charges?

23. 7timethecrystal macrumors regular

7timethecrystal

Hmm, I wonder if by turning it off you end up killing the rogue iOS process that was eating through my old device when it had network connectivity? Could be on to something.

24. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Calibrating your battery definitely helps. For example, the new battery drops % points pretty quickly, however when it comes to the last 1% it stays there for a while, indicating the chip is not calibrated well with the Li-On protection circuit. Did this, and now and the last 1% charge time is a lot more accurate, and it drops from 100% more slowly. I charged it till 100% last night, woke up and still was at 100%.

25. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm telling you this helps significantly. Everybody having battery problems should try this first and foremost.