Battery: to replace or not to replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splitpea, Jan 11, 2013.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

The battery on my mid-2010 MBP is down to 67% health and "replace soon" condition after 1200-ish cycles. It still holds a charge for about 2 hours of moderate use, but that's not exactly spectacular.

I'm planning to replace the computer some time this year, but was hoping to hold out at least until the next round of laptops are released (presumably some time over the summer).

Would you bother to replace the battery (it appears to be a feasible DIY project, with the battery costing $130-ish), or does it make more sense to just wait it out?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would replace the battery because trying to sell it with the bad battery is going to reduce the resale value... so you lose the money anyway.

3. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. palh macrumors newbie

Hi...id like to hijack your thread if i may and ask your advice in turn

Ive got a mid2010 MBP - had a dead battery for 3 months and its getting to be a bit of a PITA (plenty of power cuts here, kids tripping over power cord etc etc, needing to power down to move to another room...)

I haven't got round to having it repaired as im abt 1k miles from an apple shop and no way to travel anytime soon

My understanding is theyre not user replaceable...but you seem to know otherwise. If you could point me to a site/reference id be most grateful, then mb i cd get one shipped out

thanks in advance

Pal

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a step by step how to.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OTOH, people who come here asking, should I buy this or that (used) NEVER seem to be concerned about a used battery, they never provide the information, unless we ask and then they don't come back with a reply either as if they don't want to know about it. They are more info gigahertz, ram, SSD blah-blah.

Illogical I know but that's what I've seen.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Or you could pay Apple the $129 and have them do the battery replacement.

As for whether or not to replace the battery, I think it depends on fast it further degrades and how you use the MBP.

8. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, good catch. Didn't realize the service cost is the same as the part cost (and here I was trying to figure out how to get hold of a 2-mm three-pronged Philips head screwdriver...). Thank you!