Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
Hi!

This problem is driving me crazy!

My battery usage time has been going up despite me not using the phone at all!(the battery is draining too doing nothing!)

I had this problem last week but I restored as new and it seemed to be fine till now..

Is anyone having the same issue?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The battery meter is not perfect. Erroneous results are always possible. I just turn off the battery percentage as my S+ has almost a half battery left at the end of the day and the battery is a non-issue!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
The battery meter is not perfect. Erroneous results are always possible. I just turn off the battery percentage as my S+ has almost a half battery left at the end of the day and the battery is a non-issue!
I don't think this is the OP's issue in regarding to the battery meter. He's actually talking about the usage stats going up even without using the phone.

OP, do you have background activity turn on? Any running apps? Any notifications? Notification even with screen off will make the usage time go up.

Try doing a hard reset and see if this fixes your problem.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
I don't think this is the OP's issue in regarding to the battery meter. He's actually talking about the usage stats going up even without using the phone.

OP, do you have background activity turn on? Any running apps? Any notifications? Notification even with screen off will make the usage time go up.

Try doing a hard reset and see if this fixes your problem.

No Handoff/suggested app, no Background App Refresh, Mail set to manual, all app closed and Do Not Disturb turned on, the usage time just keeps going up lol

Before I restored I tried doing a hard reset but the problem came back so I restored..
Seemed fixed (for a few days) before happening again :/

Just did a hard reset and charging up to check if the problem is fixed

Could it be that the usage monitor is bugged and that there is actually no process running/battery drained just that it keeps reporting usage even though there isn't?

Will use the phone tomorrow just like how I used it this morning(before the bug came back) and see if it's just an issue with the monitor

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
No Handoff/suggested app, no Background App Refresh, Mail set to manual, all app closed and Do Not Disturb turned on, the usage time just keeps going up lol

Before I restored I tried doing a hard reset but the problem came back so I restored..
Seemed fixed (for a few days) before happening again :/

Just did a hard reset and charging up to check if the problem is fixed

Could it be that the usage monitor is bugged and that there is actually no process running/battery drained just that it keeps reporting usage even though there isn't?

Will use the phone tomorrow just like how I used it this morning(before the bug came back) and see if it's just an issue with the monitor

Have you tried restoring and set up as a new device and not from your back up? So if this hard reset didn't fix it, I'd try setting up as a new device. If not, then maybe it's a trip to the apple store.

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
Have you tried restoring and set up as a new device and not from your back up? So if this hard reset didn't fix it, I'd try setting up as a new device. If not, then maybe it's a trip to the apple store.

Yep I restored as a new device..

If the battery is actually draining abnormally while on standby then I will try updating to iOS 9.2 beta..

Apple Store will my last resort as we won't have one until next year and the authorised service provider here sucks!(3 hours wait! and many horrible stories)

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
Good news!

30 mins and only 1 min of usage(was checking the usage counter)!

So it's more of a software than a hardware issue right?(if it occurs again *touches wood*)

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
The battery usage page show you what apps are causing the usage if you're not using any apps and not using the phone, it should be pretty apparent which app is causing it, what is it showing?

Unfortunately it only gives you the option of looking at the last 24 hours and last 7 days. If you can, try not using the phone for 24 hours and then check to see which app is using the batter. Dont forget to click on the little clock icon on the 24 hr/7 day header which shows more detail stats (how much of an app's usage is on screen and how much in in background).

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
The battery usage page show you what apps are causing the usage if you're not using any apps and not using the phone, it should be pretty apparent which app is causing it, what is it showing?

Unfortunately it only gives you the option of looking at the last 24 hours and last 7 days. If you can, try not using the phone for 24 hours and then check to see which app is using the batter. Dont forget to click on the little clock icon on the 24 hr/7 day header which shows more detail stats (how much of an app's usage is on screen and how much in in background).

Oddly enough, the app usage % remains the same(because I wasn't using the phone..) but the usage time increased.

I SSed it last week before I restored to compare and it was the same..
But I didn't take a video scrolling down to the bottom so its just the top so there isn't really a lot of evidence

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Oddly enough, the app usage % remains the same(because I wasn't using the phone..) but the usage time increased.

I SSed it last week before I restored to compare and it was the same..
But I didn't take a video scrolling down to the bottom so its just the top so there isn't really a lot of evidence

the total usage time went up but no app usage went up? very strange and doesnt sound right

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
the total usage time went up but no app usage went up? very strange and doesnt sound right

Finally evidence!

nilci9O.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Finally evidence!

nilci9O.jpg
I believe there are system services that also do things that wouldn't necessary be associated with any particular app (even if they are doing something that an app can then use), like sync between accounts or getting push notification or various other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.