Battery Usage whilst MBP powered through A.C.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zecchetti, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Zecchetti macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Just recently purchased my first ever Mac and I'm really happy.

Got a quick query. I want the overall usability life of my battery to last as many years as possible. When the charger is plugged in, and the battery is at 100% charge, does the power travel through the battery? Or does the power bypass the battery completely leaving to not being used at all?

Second question. I leave my MBP at home and don't travel with it. Would you recommend I shut it down when not using it, or just close the cover to put it to sleep? Someone discouraged me from doing the latter saying that it uses up battery re-charge cycles, but I'm not sure? I always keep the charger plugged in when MBP is asleep.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When your battery is plugged in and fully charged, your Mac draws power only from AC, except in rare situations where it needs more power than AC alone can provide.
    Sleeping while plugged in does not use battery cycles. Sleeping while on battery uses about 1% charge per hour of sleep. Just make sure you don't run plugged in all the time, as the battery needs to be exercised. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use your computer how you want to. In the end you will not be able to tell if any efforts you expend to "extend" your battery life have paid off or not anyways.

4. psxtreme macrumors member

I try and do a full discharge cycle once per month.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Good policy, but hard to stick to. I've just done my MBA, that's not an issue really, but my 17" MBP is just too big to be on my tray in bed. It needs doing, so a good heads up!