Battery Usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by photogpab, Sep 22, 2012.

1. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

im unsure about the battery my new ip5 is giving me. for some reason it seems to be draining faster than what i expected in comparison to my 4s. i just drove an hour without even using the phone in the car and it went from 89% to 78%. in an hour with no use? hmmm. but since i dont know what i should expect i figured i would ask for advice from macrumors!

from last night. i let it drain all the way down on the first day:

[​IMG]

now:

[​IMG]

2. Dheck2355 macrumors member

I've noticed a slightly different battery life as well, when I'm not near wifi I turn it off in settings, and close any apps that are using location based services. I have crappy service where I live so it eats up battery as it is.

3. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

that looks really bad. please tell me this isnt true

4. Furifo macrumors 6502

I'm on 6 hours usage with 21% left.

Brightness is on 40% and I've been watching a few videos, made 2 calls and have been browsing a lot via a mix of 3G/wifi as well as sending lots of iMessage and whatsapp messages.

I've also got 4 email accounts set to push.

With that kind of usage I think I'll get around 7-8 hours usage time which IMO isn't too bad.

Note that I'm in an area with great cell signal. I'm consistently on 4-5 bars.

5. photogpab, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

photogpab thread starter macrumors 6502

photogpab

so... if mine looks really bad... then what the hell am i doing wrong?

6 hours with 21% left??

i barely made it 5 hours. i have 1 email account set to push, brightness is slightly under "half" and i have auto-brghtness on. bluetooth is off... i turned off location services for apps that dont really need to use it.

i did all the usual tips i've always known about.

6. photogpab thread starter macrumors 6502

photogpab

Here are tonight's stats:

[​IMG]

Can anyone help me out? Is this normal? Should I be satisfied, or concerned?

I've let the battery drain down fully each day. It's slightly better than yesterday but only by 20 min or so.

7. bxbomb1983 macrumors newbie

bxbomb1983

I'm having the same problem!!

I decided to checkout the blog because it feels like the battery is draining quickly. I can't tell you exact figures but the battery life sure doesn't seem much better than my 2 year old iPhone 4.

8. fins831 macrumors 6502a

OP:

My 4S battery life has the exact same battery as yours and I always assumed my battery was crappy. I am upgrading and I honestly expect my battery to be better.

If I was you I would be upset because unless you have terrible 1 bar reception all day, you should be able to top 6-7 hrs of use even with 12 hrs of standby

9. malibuboats91 macrumors regular

I'm at 1 percent left with 7 hours and 42 usage and 13 hours 50 minutes standby. The usage was pretty heavy also. I'm very pleased

10. gouda272 macrumors regular

I don't have exact numbers to back up my feelings but it seems like my att IP5 drains relatively quickly compared to my 2 year old IP4.

I am thinking about shutting off the LTE to see if maybe it is constantly looking for that signal.

11. fins831 macrumors 6502a

LTE and 3G share the same usage time. Only issue is if its searching for signal.

Also, you can't compare this to the iphone 4, that was THE BEST phone battery I have ever owned, then I got 4S and its completely garbage....I just know the 5 will have better battery life than the 4S, but still less than the 4.

The 4 was like, the be all end all phone for battery life....they can't duplicate that with LTE and a slightly bigger battery, HSPA+ radio also drains some juice.

12. DrSD, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

DrSD macrumors member

I came here to see if anyone has battery problems too.
    It looks like it is draining bit faster than i expected.
    Mostly draining when WiFi is turned on.

13. mixedup macrumors member

I've noticed brutal battery life so far. I'm guessing LTE is the culprit???

14. photogpab, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

photogpab

Tonight's results:

[​IMG]

Alright. Again a slight improvement over yesterday, but I still haven't been able to hit 6 hours - in the meantime apple is telling me I'm supposed to get 8 hours and others on here are saying they're getting 7+ hours.

So what the heck am I doing wrong?? I have wifi off, Bluetooth is off, screen brightness is at about 40%, auto-brightness is on, i only have 1 email account set to push, etc. Granted, the phone has lasted me all day which my 4S could NEVER do - but I feel like I should still be concerned about my results.

Thoughts? Help?

15. droeun macrumors member

I have the same problem and I'm at 51% left with only 2.29 hours usage and 13 hours standby. WIFI is very acceptable but LTE is just horrible, nowhere near 8 hours. Bluetooth off and brightness set to 35%. I have AT&T as well.

16. photogpab, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

photogpab

I appreciate others coming forward to let me know I'm not alone, but, any tips or advice??

Some are getting 7 or 8+ hours of usage with their phones. So I'm doing something wrong.

I've tried all the usual tips. Any other advice is much appreciated.

Today so far:

[​IMG]

Looks like a huge improvement. Odd though as I've been at work all day and have not been using the phone much - yet usage says nearly 4 hours.

17. photogpab thread starter macrumors 6502

photogpab

18. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Do you have all of the location services off, namely:

Settings, privacy, location services, system services

19. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

And by all I mean only leave on the critical ones and I turned all of the system ones off

20. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

The biggest issue for me is in low signal areas. When the phone is constantly flipping from 3G to Edge to LTE, that has always drained the battery for me. When I bought an aluminum case for my iPhone 4, it cut my battery life in half because of the signal drift. I have actually had a bit better battery life with my iPhone 5 because, for me, it locks a signal better...

21. falkirk18 macrumors newbie

I'm at 29% and have only made a few calls today. Been connected to wifi at home and haven't done anything else with the phone other than checking my email a few times. My iPhone 4S, sitting right next to it is at 65%. Something is clearly amiss with the new iPhone. Or it is iOS6. Apple, help please!!!!

22. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Oh boy, I'm getting frustrated with this iPhone 5. I've been thinking it might be because I am using it more, but after today I know that isn't the case. I am probably going to restore back to the original iOS and then add the accounts, apps, music etc like it was a new phone instead of restoring from backup.

There is something crazy going on. I've got wifi on, bluetooth off, was mostly in wifi range, watched about 15 min of video, streamed pandora for maybe 30 mins (20 over 3g, 10 wifi), checked twitter a few times, talked on the phone for maybe 15 min total, texted people and other normal use. I've closed all my apps in the dock and downloaded sysstatslite from the app store.
    If it truly is accurate, my phone CPU is around 80-85% being used all the time. It's a free app, so if anyone wants to try it out and let me know what they are getting, I'd be really interested.

Attached Files:

23. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Wow, I expected better out of the 5.

My 4S get's at least 8-9 hours of use and 24+ hours of standby before needing to charge. Depending on what I'm doing of course, but still..

Although I have seen some people report pretty good battery life with the 5 elsewhere...I assume those with not so good life have location services all on, push notifications, email, etc?

24. photogpab thread starter macrumors 6502

photogpab

No because I need those for several apps don't I? Isn't that how apps like maps, yelp, etc locate me?

25. Radeon85 macrumors regular

Very happy with the battery life on my iPhone 5 64gb White.

This is with push email on, all location services on, wifi on, bluetooth off, brightness on auto. This phone was restored from a backup from the iPhone 4S 5.1.1.

I don't listen to music on my phone, so this is a result of browsing the web, playing various games and playing around with multiple apps.

[​IMG]