Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
I'm getting a MacBook tomorrow afternoon and I've been reading through some of the threads where people say that you need to drain the battery and then start it up again and do this every two months or so. It's my first time with a laptop, so I'm not entirely aware of what I'm supposed to be doing in terms of this.

Do I leave it on after I first buy it and let it drain itself, then charge it or how exactly should I do it?

Also, are there any other things that are necessary (or good towards running the computer) that I should do once I get it?

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
^^ i think you said is good practice with the battery. follow the quick-steps directions, and periodically drain it down. also do a software update asap.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Its called calibrating your battery. What calibration does is simply let the charging circuits know exactly how much capacity is left in the battery. If you read up here, you will see that calibration shoud be done every 30 charge cycles (therefore every month or two, assuming you discharge completely every day or 2). Note that deep discharging like this (going to 0 charge and back again) isn't really too good for Lithium Ion batteries.

Apples support website has a page on MacBook battery calibration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.