battery useage a couple of weeks in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hudzilla, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I'm just wondering how peoples batteries are holding up now were afew weeks in and afew charges have gone on, I charge mine every night overnight, and the next day about an hour into useage my battery cuts abit off the full icon.

How's everyone else getting on?

2. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Every day I listen to music in the car (so about 2 1/2 hours of music listening) with it, have it check my email every half hour, about an hour of phonecalls on average - around 10 texts or so, and a bit of internet browsing on Wifi and GPRS. I could probably make it last two days at a stretch - but I never risk it and charge it overnight.

I was slightly disappointed with the battery at first, but a few weeks on it seems to have levelled out.

3. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Mine seems fine, but I dont really listen to much music on it. I do check my mail every hour or half-hour, and surf the next for 20 minutes on the way home every night. I charge it every other day, but it's never really drained below 25%. My wife uses hers as a replacement for her old 1gb nano, and the battery life on it seems about 50% of mine! She needs to charge at least every 1.5 days anyway.

4. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think the battery is alright.its just as good as every other phone battery I think if not better.but because you use it so much more it does drain.ive found that if I stay out all day then by the end of the day I'm struggling and get the warning.

I listen to at least an hours of music.email checked every hour.over 20 texts a day.sometimes youtube.an at least half an hours worth of browsing.

Still love this device though.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Mine does great and I have no complaints as long as I don't listen to music. With light phone usage, checking temps, stocks, email, and internet several tiems a day, I can get 3-4 days from a charge before dropping to 20%. However, if I listen to music it dies in about 5 hours - not very good at all when Apple claims 24 hours. Because of this I generally don't ever use the iPhone for music any more (I use my shuffle for that - it lasts for days).

6. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I get this too but it seems random. Some days I get through the day without it dipping then somedays (this morning) I pick the phone up off charge at 7ish and by about 9.30 it'd started to deplete.

All I'd done was made a short call and browsed a few web pages. I'm thinking it's either the phone not reporting the charge correctly or it's not charging fully overnight. <shrugs>

7. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

theres not been one night I've not had to charge. Its just came in the red as I type. Mind u I leave for work at six am and play with the phone alot during the day. I'm quite happy charging every nite.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I get about 5 hours of battery life with wifi off and the screen on either full bright, or about 60% bright, since i've been using freerice most of the time.

9. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

I wish mine lasted longer, apparently though it's recommended to keep it on a charger rather than let it drain then charge since these types of batteries only have a certain # of cycles before they hold less charge. I tend to keep it on the dock all day at work, and only charge it at home over the weekend. I try to let it go down to 10% at least once a month, also per recommendations.

There was a thread about battery life a while ago, basically you can get a movie and loop it over and over with apple's recommended settings and see if yours lasts 6+ hours.

10. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

That's recommended? From Apple? Just curious, I wouldn't think there would be a need for that at all. I'm sure the battery is either Li-Ion or maybe Li-Poly, neither of which have any sort of charge "memory" (like NiCad or NiMH) where you need to periodically "cycle" them through a discharge / charge process. I use all these different types of batteries in my hobbies and the Li-Ion's (typically in cell phones) have good charge characteristics.

Regards,

Wayne

11. silbeej macrumors 6502a

This is a lithium ion battery, doesn't need to go down all the way before charging it. I have very light usage, few calls, internet usage over edge and sometimes wifi, can go about 3 days before it's a little under half, then i charge it.

12. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

mines dead by mid afternoon cuz i play with it nonstop. when not in class, i get a good day, day and a half with normal usage

13. Barman91 macrumors member

well i got my iphone like 2days ago now since its after 12.. and yesterday was the first day i went from a full charge and it lasted me from about 10 to about 11 before i got the 20% battery thing..but that was because i was using it allll day..thing is sooo great!!!

14. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

http://www.apple.com/batteries says it on the right side of the page...I'd copy and paste the text here except I'm on my iPhone right now...d'oh!