battery & using time

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by carsonz, Jan 30, 2009.

1. carsonz macrumors member

so the official says that the ipod touch will be up to 80% when you charge it up to 2 hrs,
    But I always only charge less than 1 hour, and it has already up to 80%, y?

and how long can you use your ipod touch when u r playing games?

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I believe these numbers are just estimates. Mine charges very fast too. If thats a problem for you, call Apple and ask them for a slower charging iPod haha.

As far as how long the battery will last when playing games it really depends on the game. The games that are internet/processor intensive will drain your battery the fastest. I downloaded the Monopoly game and it is awesome but my full battery will be dead in an hour from playing it. Then again, I'll play Sudoku for an hour and not really notice any significant loss in battery life at all. It's kind of trial and error.

3. reubs macrumors 68000

I plugged mine in to charge this morning, and after 5 hrs it still wasn't fully charged when I went home for lunch...kind of disappointed b/c I wanted to have it with me the rest of the day!

BTW, I have a first gen iPod touch.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wow your battery must be getting old. If it is still under warranty then I'd try to get it exchanged for a new one. I'm not positive because I can't remember the last time I did a full charge from a dead battery but I'm pretty sure mine does a full charge in under an hour. Mine is a 2nd gen and its only about a month old, but there's no way it should take that long to charge.

5. reubs macrumors 68000

It better be under warranty; I got it from BB on 12/31/08 as part of their clearance. That seemed like a long time, so I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up!

6. carsonz thread starter macrumors member

thank you guys, I think I got the information.

so any ideas how to proling your battery life?

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

one good way to make your battery last longer is to restart your ipod every so often, especially when you are going in and out between a lot of apps. when you open an app and close it, some of the processes are still running in the background. if you restart your ipod, it will close out all these processes. the more processes you have running, the slower your ipod will perform functions and the more stress on the processor and the more battery your ipod will use. I downloaded an app called FreeMemory and what it does is it tells you how many processes are running and how much free memory (processor memory, not disk memory) that you have free. If it gets below 20mb, then it will free up some of the processes. This app is not necessary if you restart your ipod every so often or actually completely close out of an application (hold down the home button for about 3 seconds when an app is open), but I use it a lot to get a better idea of what apps use what kind of memory. hope this helps.

8. carsonz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot!!!!

9. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

If you charge it for two hours it most likely will be at 80%. the ipod isnt completely accurate And you only get about an hour and a half for games.

10. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

i know Apple don't allow ya to change battery directly, but I'm really tired of charing it every day. as we know, iPhone usually takes a lot of batteries if you run too many apps....

11. carsonz thread starter macrumors member

well, I think that's true, but you can play more than 2 hrs games if your games r just not using too much CPUs, I think the duration of the game depends on what kind of game u r playing.

:)

BTW, I love the game called Lux World, Can't get over it at all. :) It's free.

12. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Lux? The strategy game/risk clone?

13. adapa macrumors newbie

how can I tell if my iTouch 2nd gen is fully charged?
    The battery icon seems to indicate it's fully charged but I've noticed a wide variety of available time. Perhaps this is due to different apps running.

Does itunes have a icon on the battery to show the itouch is fully charged?