Battery voltage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nohnax, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Nohnax macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

after finding a lot of information on this amazing forum I've for the fist time encountered a question on which I couldn't find the answer :p

I'm having problem with my macbook battery which has only 29% capacity left so I'm looking for a replacement. While looking around on eBay and the official site, I found out that different batteries have different voltages. My current, the original, supply's ±12.5V but most of the eBay items supply only 10.8V. Would this be a problem?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. simsaladimbamba

They are not original Apple batteries, and while cheaper than those from Apple, they will not hold as much charge and have had less quality control.
    I, and many others, don't recommend using batteries from third parties.

4. Nohnax thread starter macrumors newbie

Oke allright, I'm not making myself any illusions about the quallity in comparison to a original macbook battery. But when I look to the revieuws of the ones from apple, they aren't that great either so I was exploring this option. Moreover because I'm not really sure for how long it will take for this macbook before being replaced.

But I can assume that even with the lower voltage my macbook will run as usual?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't assume anything with a knockoff battery.