Battery Wear on Brand New iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sacha_g88, Aug 5, 2017.

1. sacha_g88 macrumors newbie

Today I opened and set up my new 10.5, which I love. The only thing is that after a couple of hours I decided to run the Battery Life app and it indicated that the battery has 3% wear on it. Throughout the day the app has been reporting that the device has only 97-99% of its original battery capacity left (i.e., that there has been 1-3% battery wear on the first day of using it).

Is this normal for a brand new out of the box device? Some seem to suggest the app is inaccurate and others that it is pretty accurate. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else run this app ( https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1080930585 )on their new Pro and what are the results?

Thanks for any advice or tips, really appreciate it.

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Accuracy of that kind of measuring apps is about 3-6 percent,and any reading between 95 and 105 percent should be completely normal.

3. rserla macrumors member

This is exactly what has been happening with mine (received and set up around August 16th, 2017) and it has been bugging the s**t out of me! I have spend more time on this than I want to admit; trying to figure out why. My last iPad Pro was the 12.9 first-generation, and after over a year of use it was at 99-100% capacity; which is why it was bothering me that this one was down 2-3% after a couple of cycles. I think I use the same app to monitor it as well, I believe they took it off from the App Store at some point, but coconutBattery on my MacBook Pro has similar results.

Just like the person above me said, there is a standard deviation, so I doubt there is anything to worry about. Believe it or not, knowing that it's not just me having this "fluke" makes this a non-issue now. Worst comes to worsts, if it keeps depleting, I will just go to Apple and they will take care of it. At least now I know it's not something I did.

Thanks for your post, hope that you are enjoying your iPad Pro 10.5 as much as I am. Good luck!

4. zetronox macrumors newbie

My 3 week old iPad Pro 10.5 shows 5% battery wear level and an original capacity of 7966 mAh (NOT 8134 mAh) reduced to 7690 mAh in coconut battery (and a few iOS apps as well). Should I be worried? :/

I contacted Apple through chat and they ran a diagnostic test and told me that my battery is in "good health". I felt it was a very vague response.

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Battery wear do normally,with new batteries,show between 3 and 8 percent in tests. My guess is,that your battery is in perfect condition.

6. rserla macrumors member

So here is my update:

Based on coconut battery (on Mac), Battery Life (iOS app) and AIDA64 (iOS app) - my iPad Pro 10.5 came with a 100% capacity, and every ten cycles or so it has been losing 2-3%; last result was at 7% loss or 93% of capacity, which is insane, to someone who maintains 98-100% capacity after two years of use is. I made an appointment for the Genius Bar and went today.

I explained everything, showed some screen shots that were cause for my concern, and he ran a diagnostic test. My battery is at 115% of capacity per Apple's diagnostic tools. He was shocked, I was shocked, we had a laugh when he asked if I still wanted to exchange it, and I deleted all of my battery tracking apps.

My five cents is only worry about your battery if you see a radical drop in performance, and keep in mind that these battery apps might be really inaccurate, as it is in my case - 22% off. Only reason I went is because I am going overseas for a few months, and I will be in certain countries where I won't have access to an Apple Store - so if there was a time to do a warranty exchange, it was now.

Good luck everyone, enjoy your iPad, and try not to look at the battery apps too much ;)