Battery weirdness with 2016 MB 12"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wox_, Feb 5, 2017.

1. wox_ macrumors newbie

wox_

I have a new 2016 Retina MB 12" and it has a lot of weird issues with battery.

First off, when I plug in the charge, it's not recognized.

When I click on the battery icon in the toolbar, sometime it'll say "not charging"
    Sometimes it'll still claim to be on "battery power" when it's plugged in.

It does seem to charge fine, though.

Second, when in use, the battery percentage reads 100% and doesn't go down.
    BUT.. when I activate the screen saver or lock the screen, the actual lower battery percentage will show in the toolbar.

Then when I log back in, it's back to 100%

Sounds like classic SMC stuff - I went through the reset procedure (shut down, unplugged, left shift-ctl-opt + power for 10 seconds, then restarted) but it hasn't fixed anything.

Any help?

2. wox_ thread starter macrumors newbie

wox_

After reading some other forums, I made a second user account and logged in to it - no issues at all under that account. Everything worked fine.

When I log back into my primary account, the battery indicator is still "stuck" (this time at the updated percentage that was triggered when I logged into the new account)

Now, I don't want to rebuild my primary account - is there a way to "reset" the power management stuff?

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I suspect that you have installed some software, or plugin that is interfering somehow with your system.
    Because it is fixed with another user account, there's something in your main user that is causing that...

Try running EtreCheck. Post the results here, that may give some insight for you.

4. wox_ thread starter macrumors newbie

wox_

Hey thanks for the lead.

I ran EtreCheck and it found all sorts of old junk that I had no idea was still on this computer.

I removed a bunch of system extensions and some obsolete "startup items" related to:
    M-audio hardware drivers
    Wacom drivers
    Bluejeans audio conferencing
    PACE anti-forgery that was installed with some DAW

I restarted, and this seems to have fixed the problem. Now the computer seems to be recognizing the power adapter and showing the correct charge. I think this has solved my problem, thanks!

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Glad to help! It's not surprising that "old stuff" sometimes comes back to bite you :D
    Lots of folks here have found EtreCheck helps speed up the process of finding apps, and other startup files that might be contributing to problems, particularly after upgrading your system software.