Battery While Turned Off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmo1116, Feb 16, 2011.

1. jmo1116 macrumors regular

I usually turn my iPhone 4 off when I go to sleep and last night I checked the battery percentage and it was 40%. Then when I turned it on this morning it was 36%. Is this normal to lose battery when the phone is off? What can I do to prevent this?

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm not an expert but I think that start up and shut down are more intensive processes and probably are what's causing you to lose that battery power. Also, a battery will tend to discharge to a degree even if the device it's in is not even turned on. I wouldn't worry too much about 4%.

3. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

eternlgladiator is right. You'll save more battery leaving the phone on standby. You'll save even more power by enabling Airplane Mode.

4. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

The boot process eats battery life. My iPod touch did the same kind of thing. I haven't paid attention rebooting my iPhone yet.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Do you actually turn it off with the whole "slide to power off" or you just tap the power button to basically put it on standby? The iPhone has to use some charge to restart and to initialize all of its components. Now the 4% loss may not be all that accurate, but it may lose ~1% or so even if the indicator may not reflect if fully charged.

6. jmo1116 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I turn it off all the way. But yeah, I'll probably just turn airplane mode on and leave the iPhone on standby overnight. Thanks for the help.