Battery Woes:Hungry

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nathan.atkinson, Dec 27, 2007.

1. nathan.atkinson macrumors newbie

I am hoping some of you all might be able to help. I've asked about this on the official Apple site but I thought you all might be slightly more helpful.

So you've probably all head of this problem before. My MacBook battery isn't working. The details of the problem are this: my MagSafe Power Adapter broke this August (the wires frayed right at the magnetic connection the computer) and so my battery ran dry. I was out of the country for four months so I didn't replace the cord until recently. It's great to be back on my Mac, but unfortunately the battery isn't charging. It's not even recognized that it exists. There is a black "X" up in the charge meter, the kind that normally appears when your battery isn't connected to the computer. It's aggravating because I just replaced the MagSafe adapter and, not that any of you care, but I really am out of money.

To fix the battery, I tried pressing and holding the little button on the battery for a few seconds. No lights or response or anything. I also tried pressing and holding the main power button of the computer (the one just to the upper right above the keyboard) when the battery and MagSafe adapter were both disconnected. I read on the Apple site that doing this sometimes helps to reset some internal chip or something...as you can see I'm a real genius...But anyway, nothing worked. I do have the battery update (1.2, I think it is?) and Mac OS-X update that the website suggested in the help section. I haven't updated my software since August, though, so I'll try that and see if it helps. I will update my software tomorrow, though (I will finally have internet access back) so I'll update my problem (if it still exists) here on this message board once I try that.

What I really want to know, though, is if there's:

A) anything else I can do to try and fix the battery
    or
    B) if I've killed my battery and I need to buy a new one. I don't want to but I will if needed...I just want to be sure there is absolutely nothing I can do to fix the battery. I've had the MacBook for over a year and I have no applicable AppleCare plan or anything.
    or
    C) if contacting AppleCare and paying them to fix it/replace it is worth the trouble.

Please help or offer advice if you can. I know there are a plethora of topics on this problem but I've tried all the advice offered there and would appreciate some specific detailed help for my situation if it can be offered.

Thanks!

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Swap out with a known good macbook battery and see if your macbook recognizes and charges the new battery. This may get you started in the right direction. You may need a new battery, if so, try ebay.

3. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I think in this case using Apple Care to get it fixed wouldn't be a bad idea, but try the above solution first, sometimes it's just the battery, but sometimes it is actually the battery not being able to be charged through the MagSafe, which may be a big problem with the internal workings of your computer.